Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: canon G15 EyeFi compatible?

  1. #1
    timplog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    gig harbor, washington, usa
    Posts
    23
    Real Name
    tim

    canon G15 EyeFi compatible?

    great forum as always-thanks members.

    thinking about buying this Canon Powereshot G15 camera for those 'my DSLR is too involved' moments and would like the WiFi feature I see on other brands/models that isn't included-wonder if Eye-Fi cards are well supported-and if anyone uses/recommends a particular brand?

    cheers
    tim

  2. #2
    dje's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Brisbane Australia
    Posts
    4,148
    Real Name
    Dave Ellis

    Re: canon G15 EyeFi compatible?

    Quote Originally Posted by timplog View Post
    great forum as always-thanks members.

    thinking about buying this Canon Powereshot G15 camera for those 'my DSLR is too involved' moments and would like the WiFi feature I see on other brands/models that isn't included-wonder if Eye-Fi cards are well supported-and if anyone uses/recommends a particular brand?

    cheers
    tim
    Hi Tim

    I bought a G15 at Christmas for reasons similar to yours. I haven't got an Eye-fi card so I haven't tried one in the camera. The User Manual does however say that they are compatiible and describes how to use them in the camera. The manual also includes a disclaimer which says that Canon does not guarantee all Eye-fi cards will work properly in the camera.

    Hopefully someone else may have direct experience with a particular brand of card.

    Dave

    PS. I'm pretty impressed with the camera - love having RAW capability and the HD movie performance is excellent IMHO.

  3. #3
    timplog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    gig harbor, washington, usa
    Posts
    23
    Real Name
    tim

    Re: canon G15 EyeFi compatible?

    Thanks Dave-encouraged by your positive experience with the G15-like you I'm also glad it outputs Raw files.
    Appreciate your thoughts, and your time.
    Cheers.

  4. #4
    Melkus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Fayetteville,NC
    Posts
    439
    Real Name
    Paul Melkus

    Re: canon G15 EyeFi compatible?


  5. #5
    Moderator GrumpyDiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    12,336
    Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

    Re: canon G15 EyeFi compatible?

    I have an Eye-Fi Pro x2 card and should warn you about a couple of issues;

    1. The cards transfer data quite slowly, so don't expect speedy uploads of data. ; and

    2. The card keeps drawing power from the camera, even if the camera has been turned off while it is uploading your images, so your battery life will go down.

  6. #6
    timplog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    gig harbor, washington, usa
    Posts
    23
    Real Name
    tim

    Re: canon G15 EyeFi compatible?

    Quote Originally Posted by Melkus View Post
    Thanks Paul-some have said that Toshiba makes something like this and I'm wondering if anyone's used/likes one brand over the other...thanks for the reply!

    Cheers

  7. #7
    timplog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    gig harbor, washington, usa
    Posts
    23
    Real Name
    tim

    Re: canon G15 EyeFi compatible?

    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    I have an Eye-Fi Pro x2 card and should warn you about a couple of issues;

    1. The cards transfer data quite slowly, so don't expect speedy uploads of data. ; and

    2. The card keeps drawing power from the camera, even if the camera has been turned off while it is uploading your images, so your battery life will go down.
    Good to know Manfred-thanks-any experience downloading to a tablet-iPad in my case?
    Too slow to be practical for this type of usage, maybe.
    Battery drain issue-big deal for example in terms of number of potential shots lost per charge? Think Canon expects 200+ per charge.
    Thanks Manfred.

  8. #8
    Moderator GrumpyDiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    12,336
    Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

    Re: canon G15 EyeFi compatible?

    I originally bought the card as a fast way of backing up my shots via wireless and frankly it seems okay on jpegs, but gets totally bogged down on RAW files. The whole setup program is really a pain to use; you have to have the card plugged into your computer via the Eye-Fi USB port. I was able to do a connection to my laptop during testing but it was so painfully slow that I gave up. It is not a replacement for tethered shooting.

    With respect to the battery use, that is a significant variable that is really difficult to estimate as the strength / quality of the connection will be a key factor here and the battery use will continue until all the files have transferred. I haven't given it a heavy duty workout and I have enough spare batteries so that would not be a major issue for me.

  9. #9
    inkista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Posts
    1,398
    Real Name
    Kathy Li

    Re: canon G15 EyeFi compatible?

    I think whether an EyeFi is worth it depends on how you plan to use it. I got one for my father, because he NEVER and I mean NEVER bothers to download images from his P&S camera to his computer. He just lost his camera and with it a few hundred images. I have now got him set up with an EyeFi card, so that his JPEGs are automatically downloaded to his computer. If he loses his camera again, at least he will still have his photos. Worth every penny, since I always get stuck being his IT support.

    I bought an EyeFi for myself out of curiosity, but found that, as Manfred says, it's no substitute for a card reader or shooting tethered. It is, however, useful if I feel I need to upload an image to a social networking site. I have no smartphone. I do have an iPodTouch. I've set my EyeFi card quite differently from my father's. I have mine to only transfer selected JPEGs from my G3 to the iPodTouch. The G3 is set to shoot smaller JPEGs + RAW. I use the "lock" option on images to select them, and they show up on the iOS film roll after transferring over on an ad-hoc wifi network. Since I'm only moving a handful of smaller images, the speed is pretty decent.

    Why do you need to move images to the iPad? Do you need the full resolution? Do you need all images? Do you need the RAW? What are you doing with the images on the iPad? An iPad isn't a desktop box. If you're just showing SOOC images ASAP to a client, then maybe shooting JPEG+RAW, transferring only selected JPEGs at a lower-than-full resolution (but as high or higher than the iPad's resolution) might be the way to go.

  10. #10
    timplog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    gig harbor, washington, usa
    Posts
    23
    Real Name
    tim

    Re: canon G15 EyeFi compatible?

    Quote Originally Posted by inkista View Post
    I think whether an EyeFi is worth it depends on how you plan to use it. I got one for my father, because he NEVER and I mean NEVER bothers to download images from his P&S camera to his computer. He just lost his camera and with it a few hundred images. I have now got him set up with an EyeFi card, so that his JPEGs are automatically downloaded to his computer. If he loses his camera again, at least he will still have his photos. Worth every penny, since I always get stuck being his IT support.

    I bought an EyeFi for myself out of curiosity, but found that, as Manfred says, it's no substitute for a card reader or shooting tethered. It is, however, useful if I feel I need to upload an image to a social networking site. I have no smartphone. I do have an iPodTouch. I've set my EyeFi card quite differently from my father's. I have mine to only transfer selected JPEGs from my G3 to the iPodTouch. The G3 is set to shoot smaller JPEGs + RAW. I use the "lock" option on images to select them, and they show up on the iOS film roll after transferring over on an ad-hoc wifi network. Since I'm only moving a handful of smaller images, the speed is pretty decent.

    Why do you need to move images to the iPad? Do you need the full resolution? Do you need all images? Do you need the RAW? What are you doing with the images on the iPad? An iPad isn't a desktop box. If you're just showing SOOC images ASAP to a client, then maybe shooting JPEG+RAW, transferring only selected JPEGs at a lower-than-full resolution (but as high or higher than the iPad's resolution) might be the way to go.
    Kathy-lots of good info in your reply-thanks for taking the time.

    My thought was that as this G15 would just be a vacation snap shooter-it might be nice to do some housecleaning of the memory card using an iPad/larger screen, and just reviewing the days' shots-wasn't going to bring a laptop if it could be helped. I too liked the social network posting option. Would shoot Raw+JPegs-and only transfer the smaller JPegs-which I understand move more rapidly. Raw files for home desktop.
    Debating the whole thing as I guess Apple has an adapter for wired transfer but I'll need to look into that. Seems tethered shooting isn't all that straightforward. Slaves to technology.

    I love this forum and its most generous and knowledgable members.
    Thanks Kathy.

    Oh and sympathy for parental IT support...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •