Thread: Macro Monday & Pregnant Males...

Real Name
    Karl

Macro Monday & Pregnant Males...

.... Seahorse and Cardinal Fish.

Some images from my dive on Sat with the new setup - OMD EM-5 & 60mm macro lens - slowly coming to terms with this fantastic setup.

Karl

Pregnant male Seahorse due to give birth (if he hasn't already )

Male Cardinal Fish with eggs - not long before these hatch

Male BlackThroated Triplefin

Chromodoris Nudibranch - these guys are both male & female

Baby Octopus hiding in a shell

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

Re: Macro Monday & Pregnant Males...

Karl, another wonderful subsea series. I like specially the BlackThroated Triplefin. Well done.

Real Name
    John

Very nice series. How much time do you have underwater, equipment wise? I read that the condensation builds up after awhile.

Real Name
    Bill S

Karl, another nice set here. I think you need to move your strobe a bit. The shadows seem a bit harsh... perhaps a little higher would have worked. Also, does your strobe come with a difuser? My Ikelite strobes come with one and I like to keep it on while shooting macro.

John, I usually get about an hour per dive and I have never had a problem with any kind of condensation on my housing...

- Bill

Real Name
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    Karl, another nice set here. I think you need to move your strobe a bit. The shadows seem a bit harsh... perhaps a little higher would have worked. Also, does your strobe come with a difuser? My Ikelite strobes come with one and I like to keep it on while shooting macro.

John, I usually get about an hour per dive and I have never had a problem with any kind of condensation on my housing...

- Bill
    Hi Bill,

I have been using snoots on my strobes of late to try something different. The opening of the snoot is reduced down from 80mm to 50mm. As a result I have to be really careful with the aiming of the strobes because if there is any major movement of the subject andd they are underexposed. The Cardinal Fish was really hard because of this reason and I really only got the one shot that I liked.

The big benefit of the snoots is that in poor visablity conditions - in this case 4m - they greatly reduce the amount of back scatter because the spread of the light beam is concentrated to just a small area on the subject - which is what happened with the Nudi image. Anyway this is all just practice for my trip back to Bali in Sep 13

Karl

Real Name
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Very nice series. How much time do you have underwater, equipment wise? I read that the condensation builds up after awhile.
    Hi John,

On average I can get up to 90 mins on one of my dives and have no issues with condesation. Condensation is caused if you leave you camera setup in the sun or if you assemble it in an air condition room and then go out into the humidity etc but for normal diving no issue at all. I also have silca packs inside of the housing just in case

Karl

Real Name
    Bobo

Another nice series Karl. Thanks for showing us stuff that we can only dream about seeing in the natural environment.