Thread: C&C on my portrait - crop area ok? angle and lighting?

Real Name
    Hanson

C&C on my portrait - crop area ok? angle and lighting?

Hello,

Trying to learn how to take better photos of my family. Here's a recent one.

It's taken with the flash mounted on the camera. Any tips on improving the lighting & angle?

Is the crop too "tight"?

C&C on my portrait - crop area ok?  angle and lighting?
    IMG_6563c1 by thetamax8, on Flickr

Real Name
    Zach

Re: C&C on my portrait - crop area ok? angle and lighting?

Try maybe being more eye level with your subject, the forehead will become out of proportion to the chin if your too high up, which is slightly the case here. I like the crop, maybe a little bit more of her hair on the right side, lighting is good.

Real Name
    tom dinning

According to the expert in family protraits (my wife, Christine) any photo of the family is perfect. This is based on discussions with her over this very issue. In case of a fire, Christine would gather together all photographs of the family first before she headed for the exit, even if the flames were lapping at her feet and an over sexed fireman was waiting outside for her. As for me, I would grab the camera gear. At least we agree on one thing; we would bother give each other second consideration.

As for this particular photo, your wife and child I assume will love this shot and any suggestions of taking it otherwise would be futile. Personally, I think it has captured them quite nicely. They seem relaxed and spontaneous. Such portraits are not always easy to obtain, even from familiar people. Often, the addition of technical proficiency in the form of time and equipment can take away from this spontenaity which is the essence of good family portraits.
    Leave the backdrops and angles for the paying customers. Grab your family as you should, with love and tenderness brought about by shooting often and shooting from the heart, not the brain.

Real Name
    Brian

Excellent points from Tom. The expression is the most important thing to me - no amount of lighting, technique, or processing can make up for a 'fake' smile.
    With the equipment you are using, i think you did pretty good. I don't know what the original file looks like, but to me I want to crop this in landscape, not portrait, have you tried that?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Hanson,

I peeked at the meta data on Flickr; Canon T3i/600D at 54mm, 1/100s, f/4, iso800 and as mentioned, flash fired.

Good comments already above.

I do agree with Brian about landscape orientation, the top of the head and the space above is kinda wasted in my view.

You have managed to separate your wife's black hair from the background in PP and the background does avoid distraction problems.

A good attempt (and yes, a successful family shot),

Real Name
    Hanson

Thanks for the feedback. I tried the landscape crop as suggested (on a similar photo). I think I like the landscape version more.

C&C on my portrait - crop area ok?  angle and lighting?
    IMG_6564e1 by thetamax8, on Flickr