Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Retired in the shade C$

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Retired in the shade C&C

Not taken recently, the summer of 2011 if memory serves, but trying out monochrome and posted for opinions and critique

Please don't get upset if I don't respond after Feb 12, I will be away from the computer for about 5 weeks.

original

Retired in the shade C$

converted to black and white and increased contrast

Retired in the shade C$
    Last edited by tbob; 9th February 2013 at 05:51 PM.

Real Name
    Robin

Re: Retired in the shade C&C

Ashes to ashes, rust to rust,

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

The B&W conversion looks fine but I think I still prefer the colour one. The only distraction is the red pattern on the lower left. Tone the red right down or change it to green or grey and to me the colour version should really work. I trust you have aranged a better vehicle in NZ but something like that could be provided if it makes you feel at home - we could easily change the side the steering wheel is hanging on if needed.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I'm curious why you decided to increase the contrast. I think I would have decreased the contrast. The increased contrast draws too much attention in my mind to the large shadow of the tree on the hood. Notice that it's much less prominent in the color version and, as a result, less of a distraction.

Real Name
    Rob Douglas

I like the colors and textures of the color version but the B&W version captures my attention too. The red of the box in the lower left is a bit distracting. Nothing a subtle change couldn't take care of though.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    I trust you have aranged a better vehicle in NZ but something like that could be provided if it makes you feel at home - we could easily change the side the steering wheel is hanging on if needed.
    There are better vehicles than this? This one has really low gas consumption. The dealer told me it has the latest in flow through ventilation. And I wouldn't find a comparable one at the price.

Removed the offending red paint.

Retired in the shade C$

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I'm curious why you decided to increase the contrast. I think I would have decreased the contrast. The increased contrast draws too much attention in my mind to the large shadow of the tree on the hood. Notice that it's much less prominent in the color version and, as a result, less of a distraction.
    I found the straight conversion to be flat, what do you think? The loss of tones becomes even worse if I decease the contrast

Retired in the shade C$

Real Name
    Rob Douglas

Ah yes. Now it looks in place being a weathered old box. Well done. The rust on the truck seams to stand out more now without the red drawing your eyes away from the truck.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Your second conversion appeals to me much more than your first conversion.

What do you mean when you mention "straight conversion?" Are you using a color filter?

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

No; Aperture, the program I use for post processing, has a black and white conversion tool. It is very simple and the blue,green, and red saturation can be adjusted or you can use the other tools to change the master (original) and this gets reflected in the black and white version you see on the screen. I only adjusted the contrast and left the saturation levels alone.