Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Hover

Real Name
    Debbie

Hover

Working on my catching my dog in motion. Not as sharp as it could be I guess. C & C welcome.

Hover

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Hover

Good exposure and action capture Debbie,

I think it could be improved by applying LCE to just Gunther.

A bit like this;

Hover

Duplicate layer
    LCE with USM 20%, 250px 0th.
    Sharpen with USM 105% 0.3px 1th.
    Erase/mask so background (unprocessed) show through all around Gunther.

Difference is subtle (flick between them in Lytebox), but it didn't need much.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Debbie

Thanks! Your edits give it just a little more POP!

Real Name
    Richard

Hi Debbie... I like the shot. I love the ears flying up and the intense focus of your dog's eyes!

I was wondering about your equipment and settings for the shot. Some gear will do a better job on moving subjects than will other gear. Of course the settings on your camera including F/stop, shutter speed, auto focus etc. also make a great difference in quality of imagery you capture.

Most of us set up our shooting parameters differently for moving subjects than we do for stationary subjects.

I will most often use a relatively high ISO (around 320 or 400 **see below) so that I can keep my shuter speed fast. I will use SERVO AI (Canon's terminology) for my auto focus. F/stop (I will often shoot in aperture priority) depends on whether I want a shallow or deep depth of field which again depends on the type of subject I am shooting and what the background looks like. For most shooting, the default AF setting of my Canon 7D works pretty well but, there are times when I might want to tweak the autofocus to slightly different from the dfault setting... I will most often use center spot focus (with AF point expansion mode) but, may change this. I will most often shoot in burst mode. Whether I select the slow burst (3-FPS) or the fast burst (8 FPS) depends on how long I want to shoot the burst. Whether I have the IS on my 70-200mm f/4L IS on or off and whether I have it in mode-I or mode-2 depends greatly on what I am shooting. I will usually have the lens focus limiter set to 3 meters to infinity. This results in slightly faster focus becuse the lens doesn't have to shift from the minimum focus distance to infinity but, just from 3 meters to infinity a considerably shorter shift...

The Canon 40D, 50D, 60D and 7D cameras have a system of User Selected Modes in which the user can select the sets of parameters at which to shoot, register these parameters on a User Selected Mode (40D = 3 modes, 50D = 2 modes, 60D = 1 mode and the 7D - 3 modes) and then select all the parameters with one quick turn of the mode dial. I have one mode on my 7D set up for moving subjects. So when I want to switch from shoting stationary subjects to shooting moving subjects, I just have to twist the mode dial and I am completely and quickly ready for action.

Finally, it is easier for me to view a moving subject through the 7D eye level viewfinder than to use liveview.

** Calling ISO 320 or 400 "high" results from years in film photography when that was a high ISO...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 9th February 2013 at 11:39 PM.

Real Name
    Debbie

Thanks Richard! Well it looks like I'm well on my way to taking pictures as good as yours. I'm pretty much doing all the things you mentioned.

I'm a Nikon girl with a D90. I shoot manual. This one the settings were: f/8 1/1250 ISO 400 at 135mm on a 55-200mm lens. The camera was in its servo mode...although I goofed and had it in the slower of the two servo modes.

I took 30-40 shots and had 2-3 that I was pleased with. It really is something you have to practice. This is not a slow dog. You have to pan a bit as he's coming at you. Definitely needed to bump the ISO to get the shutter speed, which I don't like going much over 800 -1000. For my camera anything over that is too noisy. I don't know if thats a D90 thing or a me thing.

I will have to sit down with my manual and learn how to set myself some user defined settings. I know the camera can do it, I just haven't taken the time...yet.

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.