Thread: A Purple layer on my RAW files?

Real Name
    Sachin

A Purple layer on my RAW files?

Please help me with this..

I recently shot alot of photographs in RAW format, but now when i opened them using the CNET Photo Director software, it has a purple layer on all the photos

Does this mean that all my photos are corrupted or is there a way to fix this?

Thank you

Re: A Purple layer on my RAW files?

I suppose the obvious reply, Sachin, is to say 'Can we see an example'?

Difficult for me to comment as I don't use that software but have you made any adjustments to the Raw blue/yellow or red/green settings.

What White Balance settings did you use when shooting? Although this is easily changed when doing the Raw conversion.

I would suspect it is simply a White Balance issue which can easily be changed. That is the benefit of shooting Raw.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by sabcoolin View Post

I recently shot alot of photographs in RAW format, but now when i opened them using the CNET Photo Director software, it has a purple layer on all the photos

Thank you
    I doubt it Sachin,

I get this occasionally when using the Picasa viewer on my Nikon .nef files.

What are your files; Nikon .nef, Canon cr2, or something else?

Have you tried opening the files in a different editing program?
    Perhaps one from the camera manufacturer, or an Adobe product?

HTH,

Real Name
    Sachin

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    I suppose the obvious reply, Sachin, is to say 'Can we see an example'?

Difficult for me to comment as I don't use that software but have you made any adjustments to the Raw blue/yellow or red/green settings.

What White Balance settings did you use when shooting? Although this is easily changed when doing the Raw conversion.

I would suspect it is simply a White Balance issue which can easily be changed. That is the benefit of shooting Raw.

Now as soon as i posted the image here, the purple layer is gone, so may be i should try a different editor. But i have pasted the screen shot of my photo veiwer..

Real Name
    Tim

Now as soon as i posted the image here, the purple layer is gone, so may be i should try a different editor. But i have pasted the screen shot of my photo veiwer..

Sachin
    Nothing wrong with the colour on the top image you've posted, as you saw. However, the screen shot you posted says that there's something seriously wrong with colour management on your system or the software you are using.

If you are going to continue to shoot RAW, as many of us do, I'd suggest getting the gear to make sure your monitor is well calibrated and properly profiled (a Colormunki or some such) and download a trial copy of Lightroom. I don't know anything at all about CNET Photo Director, but, on the basis of experiences I've had, I am suspicious about colour management in Windows Photo Viewer. OTOH LR is properly colour managed out of the box. Give it a go ... you might think you've arrived in photographer's heaven!

Tim

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Hi Sachin

Without a bit more detail it's hard to comment but it looks to me like the Cnet software is not able to handle the raw file format from your camera properly. But how did you get the good jpeg - was it a raw conversion in Cnet PD or was it from the camera (ie shot raw + jpeg) ??

Have you checked that the Cnet software supports the raw file format from your camera ?

Dave

Just a thought, Sachin.

You have now resized the image and it works fine. So is there a display problem with your computer when using full sized Raw files.

If you convert to Jpeg without editing, do all the images look OK after the conversion?

Maybe a graphics card problem? Or that software can't fully handle these large files.

Possibly something for one of our computer operation experts to consider. It's now getting a bit extreme for me.

Real Name
    Ted

Thank you
    Howdy neighbor!

I think the root of the problem lies in your Editor when it 'saves as' as JPEG.

I looked at your file's metadata and it has no color info at all !! None. No EXIF data. No ICC profile. Zip. Nada.

Any app. that tries to open this will have no idea what to do - including the video driver on your computer. It will give it's best shot, that's all.

The good news is that the RAW files should be OK, as has already been said :-)
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 11th February 2013 at 05:54 AM. Reason: heading off the wolves

I had a similar problem with a NIKON D7000 when shooting double exposures and opening the RAW in an ADOBE Program (both Photoshop and lightroom). It disapeared when opening the RAW in ViewNX.
    Recommendation: Check out several programs.

Regards

Armin

If you want to try an alternative Raw editor, Sachin, try Raw Therapee.

Free, but donations are welcomed. It can do a lot, but does need a little bit of effort to get the maximum benefit.

Real Name
    Sachin

So the problem was with the editor, i opened my RAW files using the Canon DPP and the file was fine.

That's OK then - panic over.

DPP has fewer features than some Raw converters but many people find it is perfectly adequate for them. And you can easily continue editing with other software after conversion.