Thread: My first Wildlife Photo...

Real Name
    Sachin

My first Wildlife Photo...

So this is my first wildlife photo.... Can you please share your reviews about this photo.... I didn't get the sharpness though that i was trying to get....

My first Wildlife Photo...

Real Name
    Tom

Re: My first Wildlife Photo...

You didn't get the sharpness because your shutter speed was too low. You could have cranked the ISO to 400 or even 800 without really noticing any degradation in image quality. Don't be afraid of higher ISOs on the newer SLRs. As to composition, it depends on what you wanted to capture. A "personality" shot could have been even closer up and possibly you might have moved more to the front of the beastie if he'd stand for that. For a more "science notebook" kind of shot, you should probably try to get the whole critter into the frame.

Real Name
    Sachin

Tom, thank you for your comments. I was trying to get a personality shot, yes i should have tried a couple of different agles for this creature. Will keep that in mind for future.

Regarding ISO, i was trying to keep it low to avoid and degradation in the image quality. But will keep that in mind for future as well.

Thanks

Besides camera shake problems, Sachin, subject movement can be a problem with lower shutter speeds on wildlife.

Also, correct focusing can be difficult. False auto focus issues are common so I normally prefer to manually focus using a tripod. Even where there are difficulties over the depth of focus which is available, you will get better results if you can keep the head and particularly the eyes well focused.

However, so many of this critters move faster than I can manually focus.

Real Name
    Bryan

This photo is a great start. I like the line the rock makes with the back of the Iguana. And the perpendicular stripes on his back. Reptiles have such cool texture.

I'll second the slow shutter (1/60 at 250mm). Try to keep it at 1/<focal length>, or bring a tripod/monopod to help steady, remember to breath and don't get in a hurry. One consideration with the composition, you may go for full length shots or close-ups. Here we are missing part of a foot and know nothing about the rest of him -- often reptiles have nice long tails that add to the geometric lines in the image. Or get in close to get scales, textures, and unusual eyes.

Real Name
    Michael

This is such an amazing pic, i like the clarity you made to capture this pics