Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Marlow Bridge in Fuji Velvia

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Marlow Bridge in Fuji Velvia

Having only had one chance this year to get out with my camera (weather too dull) I thought of trying something new to get some drama into my river/bridge images.

I never use Fuji Velvia but have seen some wonderful examples of Velvia colour. To see examples of Vevia Google "Fuji Velvia" and go to the "Images of Velvia Colour" page.

The effect is created in Photoshop using Channel Mixer adjustments that is easy to setup and can be saved as a preset, so once set up it is very easy to use.

I would welcome your views on this image, particularly on the colour effect.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Marlow Bridge in Fuji Velvia

I was hoping that someone who doesn't have colour vision deficiency (CVD) would come in first and comment, in case I 'got it wrong!'

I like it.

I think the image has a vibrancy and brightness about that make it very attractive. How much of this is down to the popst-processing skills applies versus what the scene actually looked like, I don't know. But that, added to the composition of the subject matter, makes it a lovely image to just soak up.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Just out of curiosity I looked for a shot I had taken on Velvia that may be useful as a reference.

Your adjustment to velvia seems reasonably good. Perhaps a shade warmer than my reference but the saturation looks about right.

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Thanks for your comments. L.Paul thanks for posting your cracking Velvia shot. It is a very good reference, which as you say shows my effort is a little warm. I will have a crack at adjusting it.

Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    Thanks for your comments. L.Paul thanks for posting your cracking Velvia shot. It is a very good reference, which as you say shows my effort is a little warm. I will have a crack at adjusting it.
    Thanks Christopher I am glad you found it useful.

After writing that I realised your photo was taken much later in the day so the lighting will have been warmer so any adjustment would purely be for aesthetic reasons rather than accuracy.

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Re: Marlow Bridge in Fuji Velvia (EDIT)

I have made a minor adjustment to temperature to reduce warm factor, which I think is a great improvement. I hav also made this version slightly softer.

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Marlow Bridge in Fuji Velvia (EDIT)

I used Velvia for about 15 years and it looks like a pretty good emulation.