Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Anybody using a Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 zoom?

Real Name
    Ted

Anybody using a Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 zoom?

Looking at replacing a Nikkor f/3.5-5.6 18-55mm DX kit lens with something a bit faster and less prone to shoot non-existent fog on very bright Texas summer days. The Sigma 18-50mm EX DC (APS-C) non-IS model is just about right for what I do. The camera is a trusty Nikon D50 - which I'm loath to let go at the prices they're fetching these days!
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 4th February 2013 at 02:31 PM.

Real Name
    Brian

Re: Anybody using a Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 zoom?

On my wish list is the Sigma 18-70mm lens. I've read very good reports about it. That might be a lens to consider.

Real Name
    Ted

Re: Anybody using a Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 zoom?

Thanks Brian,

Yes, I read those too. I'll be sticking to the plan for now - got bids on two 18-50's on eBay and planning to pick the best, Sigma's QA being what it is ;-). Being retired, Nikon's fancy lenses are too much to contemplate.

Just a few days to go . . .
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 4th February 2013 at 02:33 PM. Reason: never mind . . .

Real Name
    Brian

I'm in the same position as you. I've just got a couple of manual lenses off eBay. A Helois 58mm 44-4, Russian variety and a Soligor CD 135mm f2.8. I'm waiting to try them. The pair cost me GBP 46.

The stress of bidding.

Real Name
    Graham Serretta

The Sigma 18-50 f2.8 EX is a superb lens and hard to beat. The EX means that it is built to "Pro" standards and is weather and dust sealed. The 17-70 f2.8-5.6 is also a good lens, but is not weather sealed, and is only f2.8 at 17mm, after which it becomes a f3.5 or slower lens until it reaches 70mm where it is a f5.6. However, it has much less CA (fringing) than the 18-50 f2.8.

Real Name
    Richard

CA fringing can often be eliminated (or at least controlled to an acceptable level) using an editing program. I know that Photoshop CS6, Photoshop Elements 11 and Photoshop Lightroom 4 have the ability to control CA in one degree or another. This is especially if you shoot in RAW and open your images in Adobe Camera RAW...

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&...w=1280&bih=582

Real Name
    Ted

Thanks for the info, Gentlemen,

I chickened out on those eBay lens and let them be outbid. Had mixed feelings about like buying two lenses and then selling one on - incurring yet more eBay charges, PayPal, etc. than I need right now. So the D50, now being blind so to speak, will be up on eBay shortly. Poor old D50, it has been a good cam for 5 or so years but it was always a tiny bit soft for my taste, even with the mighty 60mm f/2.8 micro-Nikkor on it. Consumer-oriented AA filter, I guess. Wouldn't want any of that nasty moiré stuff messing up a shot of Blackpool Pier or wherever . . ;-)

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Mito View Post
    On my wish list is the Sigma 18-70mm lens. I've read very good reports about it. That might be a lens to consider.
    Just splurged a whopping $189 USD on a used Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 for my SD10. Hoping to see an improvement over the kit 18-50mm . . .

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    Just splurged a whopping $189 USD on a used Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 for my SD10. Hoping to see an improvement over the kit 18-50mm . . .
    Have you owned a Sigma lens or other third party lens before? Wondering about the performance, looking forward to seeing your images. Only third party lens tried so far was for an Olympus pen using a Panasonic Lumix and very happy with the results. Not sure if I want to do the same with the Nikon. Last purchase dreams would be focal length longer than current 300mm lens.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Have you owned a Sigma lens or other third party lens before?
    Hello John,

Yes, as a Sigma DSLR owner, I am stuck with Sigma lenses (because I'm not into messing with adapters and with glass that does not connect electrically with the cam's stuff). I have had a 50mm macro ( f/2.8 EX DG) on a Nikon D50 (both now sold) and it was very good for what I do. A similar 50mm (pre-EX) lens on a SD9 was surprisingly good - I do regret selling it. Sigma's lens range from pretty poor to very good. The consensus is that a big problem of theirs is quality control, (which they have recently addressed with a new range), resulting in quite large differences between lenses of the same model. Thus my recent purchase is a bit of a crap-shoot, to be honest.

My two kit lenses 18-50mm DC and 50-200mm DC are OK and the big pixels on the SD10 are pretty tolerant of some imperfections. My 70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro is a very sharp lens and perfect for close-ups. I'm buying the 17-70mm for a little more speed and a larger zoom range. A walk-around lens for one who isn't into wildlife shots but might shoot the occasional flower.

. . . looking forward to seeing your images.
    Sorry, not being an actual photographer, I rarely post anything of merit. How about some tree bark, shot with the 50-200mm kit lens, IIRC?

Anybody using a Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 zoom?

Only third party lens tried so far was for an Olympus pen using a Panasonic Lumix and very happy with the results. Not sure if I want to do the same with the Nikon. Last purchase dreams would be focal length longer than current 300mm lens.
    I've just sold up all my micro-4/3 stuff (G1, 14-42mm, 45mm Leica Elmarit) and also the trusty Nikon D50. I had too much stuff and have now committed myself to the God Foveon forever, leaving SWMBO to struggle on with her Canon Sureshot.

Arm muscles are already larger - carrying a housebrick around is as good as popping spinach, IMHO.
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 10th February 2013 at 11:18 AM.

Real Name
    John

Ted,

Good information on the Sigma lens quality. I've often heard mixed reviews on Sigma lenses but usually from photographers using them on other models, so it's hard to distinguish between critics who are brand loyal or others who aren't willing to learn more about their equipment.

I too have too much stuff but I usually carry different models for different occasions. The Nikons are used for special projects, vacation travels, photography classes, and special events.
    The Olympus 4/3rd is with me daily, sort of an extended compact with additional benefits, especially with the interchangeable lens. I will sometimes carry both but as you said, the arms do get a workout.

Nice texture and pattern on the photo.