Thread: Cockatoo island

Real Name
    Harry

Cockatoo island

Hi all - just a few pics (from hundreds) from my weekend stay on Cockatoo Island (worthwhile looking up on Wiki - great place to visit) - hampered by the weather so I could not use the tripod on all occasions although managed to for the nightime shot, c&c welcome
    1 - 0.3,av 16, iso 800
    Cockatoo island
    2.10, av 11, iso 1600
    Cockatoo island
    3. 1/160, 11, iso 1600
    Cockatoo island
    4. 1/13 4.5,iso 1600
    Cockatoo island

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: Cockatoo island

Cockatoo Island and no cockatoos ???

All nice shots. The light in #1 is amazing.

Real Name
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Cockatoo Island and no cockatoos ???

All nice shots. The light in #1 is amazing.
    Thanks Bobo - yes I was a bit disappointed in the lack of Cockatoos and birdlife in general - think the weather kept them away - there was plenty of seagulls!

Real Name
    Graham

Hi Harry,

I like your storm light. Was that on the long weekend? I was away in Newnes camping and was nearly washed away. Wow 47 degrees and then one week later floods and storms.

The last time I was at Cockatoo Island was during the Biennale a couple of years ago. There were seagulls nesting all over the place. I photographed the installations and only started photographing the island while waiting in line for the ferry.

Graham

Real Name
    John

I was wondering about the name of the island and when I viewed the first image suspected that it was an environmental issue for the lack of birds.

I like the second and fourth image, the fourth mainly because it draws the eyes within the image looking for the outcome or ending and when you get there a winding turn and more mystery.

Real Name
    Harry

[QUOTE=gcowan;285368]Hi Harry,

I like your storm light. Was that on the long weekend? I was away in Newnes camping and was nearly washed away. Wow 47 degrees and then one week later floods and storms.

Hi Graham, yes it was the long weekend, we camped there Sunday night, highly recommend it, your right about the weather, the extremes are crazy. Will post some more during the week

Cheers

Real Name
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    I was wondering about the name of the island and when I viewed the first image suspected that it was an environmental issue for the lack of birds.

I like the second and fourth image, the fourth mainly because it draws the eyes within the image looking for the outcome or ending and when you get there a winding turn and more mystery.
    Thanks John, the island is the largest in the Harbour and is quite contrasting landscape. The 4th image is of a tunnel called the Dogleg tunnel and at the end it does exactly that as the picture portrays, had lots of fun shooting on this place although as mentioned the rain made it difficult

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by HAZZA View Post
    Thanks John, the island is the largest in the Harbour and is quite contrasting landscape. The 4th image is of a tunnel called the Dogleg tunnel and at the end it does exactly that as the picture portrays, had lots of fun shooting on this place although as mentioned the rain made it difficult
    Then I take it there are no restrictions to shooting within the tunnel? Would make a good setting for a model shoot.

Real Name
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Then I take it there are no restrictions to shooting within the tunnel? Would make a good setting for a model shoot.
    I don't believe there is John - they also have a number of huge old sheds (most still with old ship building / repair equipment) that they also hire out to companies for corporate functions, music videos etc etc