Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: An Uninentionally Ethereal Look

Real Name
    Ted

An Uninentionally Ethereal Look

Was shooting pics of a lens to sell on eBay. I admire those shots that those lens Sellers make, starkly outlined against a blank background, similar to this:

Using a newly-acquired flash mounted on my housebrick, all went well until:

Actually, I quite like the look and will probably keep the image as-is. OT, but Leica's font sucks, IMHO.

Here's the highly professional studio layout:

I don't have multiple speed-lights, flash-head diffusers, umbrellas, gels, etc. etc. Just a clunky Sigma EF-500 mounted on top of an equally clunky Sigma SD10 and a couple of white cards for reflectors. Up until now, I've been a continuous-lighting sort of chap, so all this flashing is a bit new ;-)
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 1st February 2013 at 04:55 PM. Reason: cain't hardly write good English

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: An Uninentionally Ethereal Look

That looks like a bit of 'direct reflection' flare from the flash, perhaps off any sheen on the paper.

The font is unusual and originally I didn't like it, but it is growing on me

Real Name
    Ted

Re: An Uninentionally Ethereal Look

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    That looks like a bit of 'direct reflection' flare from the flash, perhaps off any sheen on the paper.

The font is unusual and originally I didn't like it, but it is growing on me
    Quite right, IMHO. For that shot, the camera was resting on the bench and the Kodak white cards obligingly provided a Lambertian diffused reflection which caused the effect. If only there were a use for it, apart from surprising this neophyte flasher ;-)

As to the font, almost 70's pseudo-computer script, it's sort of OK until you see the font on the switch! Ouch. It's not like it's a particular cheap lens either (by my low standards anyway).