Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Illawarra Sunset

Real Name
    Graham

Illawarra Sunset

On a recent trip to the Snowy Mountain National park I exposed a bit of film along with my digital work. I had a number of rolls of film come back with light leaks along one edge. Since I loaded the film in intense sunlight, I didn't know whether my camera back had light leaks or whether it was my fault.
    I ran a roll of Fuji Velvia ISO50 film through the camera as a test. These two images are the result. No light leaks just sloppy loading.

Illawarra Sunset

Illawarra Sunset

Hasselblad 503CW 40mm f4 lens.. f11.

Royal National Park - Reeds and Angophoras

Illawarra Sunset

Hasselblad 503CW 150mm f4 lens.. f8

Graham

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Re: Illawarra Sunset

Why is there lens flare on #1, Graham?
    Would be interesting to see the difference if you had shot the same scenes with digital.

Real Name
    Bobo

Nice shots. I do like #1 (except for the flare), very film like.

Real Name
    Greg

I like #1 too, Graham. How did you manage to take that shot without a half dozen hang gliders in the frame?

Real Name
    Graham

Thankyou Andre, Bobo and Greg.

There is flare because I was shooting very close to the setting sun. I was using a large brimmed hat to control the flare but the only effective one had the hat in the frame. I had been shooting with mirror lockup so lost sight of the image. This lens has a huge front element and is very wide for medium format and I don't have a lens hood for it. The hoods for this camera are large adjustable bellows and would be quite clumsy in the field. Flare on these lenses is really well controlled so I was on the limit of what I could think of. In the end I shot one with the sun in the frame which got rid of the flare. I didn't like that shot as well as the one with the flare. The flare doesn't bother me too much, but looking at it there must have been some dust on the filter because it isn't the shape of the aperture blades or shutter. Lesson here is remove the filter.

Greg, there was no wind so no hang gliders, I may have been able to use one as a flag in place of a hood.

Graham