Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Land Formations of Cappadocia, Turkey

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Land Formations of Cappadocia, Turkey

The land formations of Cappadocia, Turkey are unlike anything I have ever seen in person or in photos. They are a landscape photographer's dream come true, especially if the light is good. (That rarely happened while I was there, as you'll see from the photos below.) Entire cities, some of which are now converted to museums, were built in earlier centuries into the soft rock to hide from marauders. Today, many of the dwellings have been converted into luxurious boutique "cave hotels." Many people still live in the rock formations without electricity or running water.

All of these photos were captured in 2008 and converted to monochromes today. C&C is encouraged, as always.

Photo #1: Part of the open-air museum in Goreme (I call it the condominium.)

Photo #2: The official name on the map is "Love Valley." Really.

Photo #3: "Fairy Chimneys" at Pasabag

Photo #4: More "Fairy Chimneys" at Pasabag

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Land Formations of Cappadocia, Turkey

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Photo #2: The official name on the map is "Love Valley." Really.
    Mmmm!

Fascinating, Mike.

The first one and your text about the boutique cave hotels prompted me to think about the Troglodyte cave dwellings in the Loire Valley in France (where I will be in September - HURRAH!). Many of them are now holiday homes available for rent.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Land Formations of Cappadocia, Turkey

I wasn't aware of them in France, Donald. I'll have to keep that in mind once we plan to get to France. I realize it's hard to believe that I've never been there. Perhaps it's because French wine is so easy to get in the U. S. without having to go to the expense of a trip to France.