Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Indigo Lake Trail, Winter Scene

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Indigo Lake Trail, Winter Scene

Comments welcomed.

Karm

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Indigo Lake Trail, Winter Scene

I like the soft colors, the fence emphasizing the contour of the hill, the foreground snow and, of course, the trees. I realize that a lot of people would prefer a glorious sunrise or sunset in the background, but everything about landscapes isn't dependent on them. Very nice job!

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Hi Karm.

There seem to be light vignetting along the left and right sides that tend to pull my eye towards the edges. The details seem soft and a bit out of focus to me. You might want to consider running the image through a noise filter to remove the small amount of noise in the sky and then sharpen the image.

I find that sometimes when there is so little color in the image, you might (repeat, might) get better results converting to black and white. I use Nik's Silver Efex Pro software and if this were my image, would fool around with the various options to see if the image were more satisfying.

Ken, thanks for your comments. I tried your suggestions in the photo below. I do not want to over sharpen this image because the brush then takes on a look that looks funny to me. Personally, I like the muted oranges, yellows, and reds of winter.

Karm

Thanks Mike. I think you picked up perfectly what I was trying to achieve with this photo. Personally, I am a fan of the muted winter colors.

Karm

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Karm Redland View Post
    Ken, thanks for your comments. I tried your suggestions in the photo below. I do not want to over sharpen this image because the brush then takes on a look that looks funny to me. Personally, I like the muted oranges, yellows, and reds of winter. Karm
    Hi Karm. My suggestion for converting to black and white was just an idea for consideration, nothing more, and I think its fine to keep the muted colors. The image still has the light areas on the left and right edges of the sky. Was there a processing step that caused that effect?

Real Name
    Terri

Karm, I like this photo. I think it's one of those scenes that takes some skill to notice. I like the diagonal of the tree line and the curve of the hill and fence. Both versions work for me.