Thread: Help required for photographing horse racing

Real Name
    Mark

Help required for photographing horse racing

Hello to one and all,
    I have not long purchased a Panasonic g3 with a twin lens kit, can you help as to what camera settings might give me the best chance to capture action shots. I realise the continuous shoot mode in full resolution of 4 frames per sec is not the greatest, but we all have to start somewhere! Right?

Any comments gratefully received, thanks.

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Help required for photographing horse racing

I don't know much about the G3 except for what I have read. However, here are some generalized pointers which should be valid...

1. In shooting any action, use the eye level viewfinder. It is easier to follow a moving subject with your camera up to your eye than with the LCD at arms length.

2. Shoot in full resolution burst mode. Four frames per second is not all that slow...

3. I usually have my ISO somewhere in the area of 320 or 400 when shooting sports of any kind. This allows a relatively fast shutter speed.

4. I like to shoot with my aperture pretty well wide open which will blur the background. I use aperture priority mode...

As far as general tips on horse racing photography, here is a decent PDF article on the subject...
    http://www.neilmurrayphotos.com/asse...ev1-photos.pdf

Are you, by any chance, attending "Photographer's Day at the Santa Anita, California, track. I mentioned this because I am attending and it will only be my second time at any track and the first time shooting the action...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 29th January 2013 at 01:54 AM.

Real Name
    Mark

Re: Help required for photographing horse racing

That has helped enormously, thank you very much, the article looks a massive help.

I live in the UK so Santa Anita is a no,but I hope you fall in love with the sport I adore so much. Having the odd own taken picture of various racetrack excursions dotted around the house has been fun to do.