Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Baby Maggie - C&C wecome

Real Name
    Kathy

Baby Maggie - C&C wecome

Still working on taking some good photos of my Granddaughter, trying some new things such as blk/white conversions,and new and different crops. I know the photo is not great as some of you post but I am hoping I am making some progress. Thanks for looking. Let me know what you think.

Kathy

Baby Maggie - C&C wecome

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Baby Maggie - C&C wecome

Kathy - Something for you to consider .............

I wondered why we need to see so much of her jacket at the left-hand side? What would it be like if you were to make a 1:1 ratio (square) image based on the existing right-hand side, top and bottom?

Real Name
    Bobo

That is one beautiful kid. I was going to say the same about the jacket then saw Donald has already said it when I scrolled down the page.

Square it.

One other thing to bear in mind - the shading within the nostril. Try to avoid too deep a shading or it will detract from the key parts of the image. The eyes and lips in this shot for example. My eyes keep moving back to that black spot.

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Kathy - Something for you to consider .............

I wondered why we need to see so much of her jacket at the left-hand side? What would it be like if you were to make a 1:1 ratio (square) image based on the existing right-hand side, top and bottom?
    Donald,

Not sure if this is exactly what you were thinking, let me know, you are welcome to edit this photo if you need to. Thanks for your input!

Baby Maggie - C&C wecome

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    That is one beautiful kid. I was going to say the same about the jacket then saw Donald has already said it when I scrolled down the page.

Square it.

One other thing to bear in mind - the shading within the nostril. Try to avoid too deep a shading or it will detract from the key parts of the image. The eyes and lips in this shot for example. My eyes keep moving back to that black spot.
    Bobo,
    I have worked with the crop, let me know what you think. I have no idea how to fix the nostril, I tried using my lightoom software but failed. If you have ideas please let me know. Thanks for your input. You are welcome to edit the photo if you need to.

Baby Maggie - C&C wecome

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Kathy

Personally, I wouldn't crop so tight as you have in that second version. My idea was to leave the right- hand side, the top and the bottom just as you had them and only crop in at the left-hand side. This si what you then get ..................

Baby Maggie - C&C wecome

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Kathy

Personally, I wouldn't crop so tight as you have in that second version. My idea was to leave the right- hand side, the top and the bottom just as you had them and only crop in at the left-hand side. This si what you then get ..................

Baby Maggie - C&C wecome
    Donald,

Thanks for showing me!! Much appreciated!!

Real Name
    Kevin

Lovely shot, Kathy.

I really like 1:1 crops for portraits, and increasingly for a lot of other stuff as well. It certainly works for this fine shot

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by kdoc856 View Post
    Lovely shot, Kathy.

I really like 1:1 crops for portraits, and increasingly for a lot of other stuff as well. It certainly works for this fine shot
    Thank you Kevin! When it was suggested that I crop it differently I was worried that the crop would be to much, (in my crop it was a little to much, I prefer Donalds crop better) I really like the results!!

Real Name
    Bobo

Pretty easy, a soft dodge to the dark part to lighten it up a bit and then used the blur brush to soften it somewhat.

Donald's crop + a lighter right nostril.

Mind you the tighter crop now forces attention to the eyes and nose bit becomes somewhat insignificant and does not force my eyes there. It was the other way round with the original crop.

Baby Maggie - C&C wecome

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Pretty easy, a soft dodge to the dark part to lighten it up a bit and then used the blur brush to soften it somewhat.

Donald's crop + a lighter right nostril.

Mind you the tighter crop now forces attention to the eyes and nose bit becomes somewhat insignificant and does not force my eyes there. It was the other way round with the original crop.

Baby Maggie - C&C wecome
    Thankyou so much for your help