Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Ice From the Stones

Real Name
    Kevin

Ice From the Stones

Recent hike looking for winter shots. Had the area to myself, so no people to use for perspective. These ice collections are about 3 meters tall measuring from the ground. Any C&C welcome. Thanks for viewing.

Ice From the Stones

Ice From the Stones

Real Name
    Sergio

Re: Ice From the Stones

First one is a stunner, Kevin. Those are some huge ice formations. I like how the ice formation stands out from the background and appears almost illuminated in the second.

Kudos to you for braving the cold.

Real Name
    Kevin

Thanks, Sergio. And thanks for commenting. I thought there would be some interest in these seasonal shots, but apparently there isnt. I'll take them down shortly

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by kdoc856 View Post
    Thanks, Sergio. And thanks for commenting. I thought there would be some interest in these seasonal shots, but apparently there isnt. I'll take them down shortly
    Don't take them down yet, give everyone a chance to view.
    Regarding perspective, I doubt if you could get anyone to stand very close to that formation.

Nice images, good exposure. Is there an opening above that gave you such good light?

Real Name
    Kevin

Hi, John

these are two different formations, about a mile apart. They each occur under the leading edges of huge sandstone washout caves and were formed by the last major ice sheet. The bottom cave is about 90 feet tall at its opening which is shaped like a concave ring and allows almost a shaft of light into its deepest part.
    Last edited by kdoc856; 27th January 2013 at 12:27 AM. Reason: spelling

Real Name
    Steve

I really like the first one kevin. Have you considered cropping a little off the top? The point of the large ice formation, tends to lead my eye up, and out of the frame.

Real Name
    Andrew

Hi Kevin. I like the first shot a lot as even though I struggle with the perspective it still has huge impact. I was also looking at the icicles on the right and I wonder what they would look like with some off camera flash and a shorter exposure maybe blending two exposures together? Andrew

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

The first one is really stunning. The rock on the left provides all of the perspective that I need. I'm not sure I will like it as much if you include a person in the photo.

Real Name
    Kevin

Thanks, Mike, Andrew and Steve for viewing and commenting

Steve, I was trying to avoid the ice just popping out the top of the frame with no point of origin, but your point is quite valid, and may well be the better compromise,

Andrew, The off-camera flash idea is a great one, and would solve several of the problems in these caves with the limited ambient light. And... I just happened to receive a set of PocketWizard III's this week- may be worth a trip to go and play. The flash might do some interesting things with these iceicles.

Real Name
    Bob R

I have to go with the many - the first one- stunning. Especially using the litebox, it gives all that is necessary.