Thread: Questions related to CIC forum

Real Name
    Michelle

Questions related to CIC forum

I have 2 questions.
    1) When one is viewing the brief description to a thread, it has a number of replies and a number of views. Does the number of views correspond to the number of people who have viewed the thread?
    2) What are the conditions for a thread to be closed? Number of posts...pages... other criteria?
    Thanks
    Michelle

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Questions related to CIC forum

Quote Originally Posted by michelleh View Post
    I have 2 questions.
    1) When one is viewing the brief description to a thread, it has a number of replies and a number of views. Does the number of views correspond to the number of people who have viewed the thread?
    2) What are the conditions for a thread to be closed? Number of posts...pages... other criteria?
    Thanks
    Michelle
    Hi Michelle,

1) Yes

2) Other - Most threads are never closed, the exceptions being monthly competitions of various varieties, usually when Voting is underway, so people can't comment (that even unintentionally), might influence voting. Plus very occasionally; if a conversation gets heated, the mods will close one manually. You are all so well behaved (long may that last), it must be months since I did one.

Hope that helps,

Real Name
    Michelle

2) Other - Most threads are never closed, the exceptions being monthly competitions of various varieties, usually when Voting is underway, so people can't comment (that even unintentionally), might influence voting. Plus very occasionally; if a conversation gets heated, the mods will close one manually. You are all so well behaved (long may that last), it must be months since I did one.
    Thanks Dave...just noted that my thread on 'Best editing software... easy to use' had been closed and hence raised the question. Have now seen other threads that are much longer. Any comments on my thread??

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Question #1 is: Does the number of views correspond to the number of people who have viewed the thread?

Dave's answer is: Yes

Are you sure that is correct, Dave? Based on my anecdotal observations without really knowing how the software works, that number seems to be the number of times a thread has been viewed by someone other than the person who started the thread. That's different from the number of people who have viewed the thread when a person views the thread more than once.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Michelle,

Your thread seems to have been closed probably due to the contentious nature that developed there that is both uncharacteristic and unbecoming of CiC. Moreover, that bit of unpleasantry came about while discussing a topic that had nothing to do with the real subject of your thread.

I have been following CiC daily for nearly a year and this is only the second time that I have seen a thread closed here. That's because, unlike so many other websites, civility and respect for other peoples' differing opinions generally reign here; other websites have to regularly close threads.

My guess is that Colin closed your thread, as his posts and the responses to them seem to be at the center of the contention. If it's important for you to clearly know why your thread was closed, you might want to PM him to ask.

If I am correct about that, it would have been ideal if all of the posts pertaining to the Lightroom database and backing it up had been moved to another thread and then closed. A pertinent announcement could have been added to your thread to explain the missing posts along with a link to the newly formed and closed thread. If that had been done, your invaluable thread could have remained open. Just my thinking for the mods to consider.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 25th January 2013 at 09:38 PM.

Real Name
    Remco

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Question #1 is: Does the number of views correspond to the number of people who have viewed the thread?

Are you sure that is correct, Dave? Based on my anecdotal observations without really knowing how the software works, that number seems to be the number of times a thread has been viewed by someone other than the person who started the thread. That's different from the number of people who have viewed the thread when a person views the thread more than once.
    I agree, it's most likely the number of views, not viewers (based on both the number of views some threads get and what I've seen on other fora). I'm not even sure the starter is excluded from the count.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Are you sure that is correct, Dave?
    Nope

Based on my anecdotal observations without really knowing how the software works, that number seems to be the number of times a thread has been viewed by someone other than the person who started the thread. That's different from the number of people who have viewed the thread when a person views the thread more than once.
    I don't know how it works either

The 'someone other than the person creating it' makes a difference of 1, so is arguably irrelevant.

I am vaguely aware that you'll sometimes see a thread with 0 views and say, 2 replies, so the respondents aren't initially included in the views figure either.

I have just tested the views count to see if it increments if I repeatedly re-open the same thread - it doesn't seem to (whether I've contributed there or not), but maybe it counts unique 'session' visits, so I'd have to log out, close all my browser windows, then open one again, log in again and view it again and refresh Latest Threads - by which time someone else has probably looked and skewed the figures.

Also, being a mod may affect the way it behaves for me, I know I exclude myself when I'm counting pages hits in the Intranet site I look after at work, if I didn't, the hits would be several hundred a week more.

Perhaps someone else can try it? If you're really that bothered to want to know

Perhaps given my 'at work' experience, I take these numbers as a rough guide only.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 26th January 2013 at 12:09 PM.

Real Name
    Michelle

Thanks for the answers. Not too worried about exact and detailed just needed enough to satisfy my general curiosity.
    Ciao
    Michelle