Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Swiss Watch - mono

Real Name
    Jon

Swiss Watch - mono

It is late and I am trying to relax...what to do? I know, lets play with my old watch.
    I don't really have a vision at this time but C&C is most welcome.

Swiss Watch - mono

Swiss Watch - mono

Real Name
    Bob R

Re: Swiss Watch - mono

Jon, I wasn't going to comment but I came back. I used to take pictures of antique clocks and museum pieces. The hands were always at the 10 and 2 position. Even in comedy and movies you will see the hands at the mentioned position, when you see them at the 8 and 4 it is generally for a reason to give feeling to the moment. As you may or may not know, clocks don't work in movies, shows, theatre productions, etc. You never see the pendulum moving as in pictures. Hands play on the mind. As in smiles for 10 and 2 and for 8 and 4.

Real Name
    Bobo

Excellent shots.

I like the sepia treatment. #1 is my favourite.

Regarding #2 the only little niggle is that there is bit of highlighting on the inner rim in the mid left.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Great toning, Jon! I prefer the second one because the lighting in the first one prevents the display of detail in the chain links on the left.

Nobody understands better than I how difficult it must be to make such an otherwise seemingly simple photo. I have never photographed watches, but my understanding of photographing shiny metal is that making it mostly bright will show it off best. Your lighting scheme made the metal mostly dark.

I don't know if you were following my initial exercises inspired by the content of Light: Science and Magic, so you might want to review this post. I have to mention, though, that that post is about lighting and exposing for a single flat surface, which is far easier than lighting and exposing for the many curved surfaces in your watch and chain.

Real Name
    Jon

Bob, Bobo & Mike, thanks for the comments.

Bob, thanks for the info on the hands. I will keep that in mind for the next time.

Mike, I tried several different light setups and decided on this one because of less glare (highlights), and for the fact I was in a slightly dark mood at the time so this setup kinda seemed to fit. Looks as if I will be unemployed next week so I will play with some different setups thanks to your posts.

Cheers