Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Spillage

Real Name
    Allan Short

Spillage

I had to take a number of images, to produce this one as the wind and waves did not co-operate to give me one large wave to spill over the breakwall. I would have stayed longer but my butt was getting cold sitting on the ground blocking the wind from the camera, I can do that quite well. In all I used parts of 5 images to get the spillage effect that I wanted, I think the composition is good, with the line of the breakway and the small spit on sand on the left leading into where all the action is happening. I was thinking of a possible crop, tried a few but I just do not know.

Cheers:

Allan

Spillage

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Re: Spillage

Allan Maybe show us some of your crops. I personally think it would work best as a panoramic crop with the edges just below the largest rock on the lower right and just above the line of clouds on the upper right. I would have to see it to verify that, I block off bits of the computer screen to get the effect so I have not actually done the crop.

Also maybe slightly brighten the image overall, at least on my monitor it seems slightly dull.

I am surprised you still have open water on the lakes. Is there any ice yet?

Real Name
    Bobo

Nice image but has to be seen large to appreciate its beauty.

Real Name
    Steve

Nice image, allan. Great detail! How about 1/3 sky and 2/3 land, cropped at a 16/9 and get rid of the big rock at the center right edge.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Trevor and Steve: I went back, did some more thinking on the crop. I was leanning towards a 16 x 9, however I ended up with a 16 x 7 crop, that one seemed to me to work the best.
    As for the Lake Ontario being open at this time of year, this lake almost never freezes over solid, there have been sometimes where is has, however it takes a lot of -15+ C with no wind and about of week of both. The thing is this lake is deep it averages over 300ft and that is a lot warm water to cool. Remember water is densiest at 4 C and sinks causing warmer water to be displaced uipward so it takes a lot of cold to freeze it over. One advantage of living on the middle of the north shore is we do not get a lot of heavy lake effect snow, try living on the south shore in New York state with that warm body of water and those cold northern winds, you guessed it lots and lots of snow.

Cheers:

Allan

Spillage