Thread: Elegant goblets

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Elegant goblets

Good friends loaned me this set of goblets so I could photograph them. I assumed it would be a huge challenge to bring out the delicacy of the very slight embossing in the bowls and I was right; it took me three lighting schemes to get to this point.

One of the problems is the issue that all photographers always face: When we look at the physical glass, our mind focuses on the embossing in the forward part of the bowl and ignores the embossing in the rear part despite that our eyes see it perfectly clearly. When the glass is photographed, the camera captures all of it in a manner that prevents any of it from standing out. If anyone knows of a way to deal with this issue, I'm all eyes and ears.

Click the photo to eliminate the moire effect.

Elegant goblets
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 20th January 2013 at 08:16 PM.

Real Name
    Steve

Re: Elegant goblets

I think you've done an excellent job of this, mike. Looks good to me.

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

You're really making good use of that "Light, Science and Magic" book you bought. If I ever get the space to make my own studio, I'd like to do this...

Tony

Thanks to Steve and Tony. If you get around to doing this type of photography, Tony, I hope you enjoy the process as much as I do.

Real Name
    Jon

Mike, thanks to you and your glass photos, I am in the process of getting together a small studio in my basement mechanical room. Hopefully I will have it completed around the time I upgrade to my first dslr. Your photos have inspired me!

Cheers

Real Name
    Christina

Beautiful... Yes, indeed your glass photos are very inspiring.

Inspiring? I don't think you folks could ever pay me a higher compliment. Thanks so much!

Real Name
    Kenny

When I opened this thread my initial reaction was that I didn't like this as much as your other glass work, however............... Having looked at this for about 10 mins now and thinking about how you're pushing yourself to develop your skills with various glass elements, I realised that I was really drawn the the geometry of the patterns on the stems and how the light is caught there and in the base of the glass. On a purely personal note while the engraving on the top of the glass doesn't work for me, the rest of it, like your earlier examples is simply stunning in terms of tones and light reflection.

I completely agree with you, Kenny: as a photo, the stems and bases work better than the bowls. However, wine poured into them tastes every bit as good as when drunk from any other glass.

By the way, your comments about the stems and bases gave me an idea.

Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    However, wine poured into them tastes every bit as good as when drunk from any other glass.

A man after my own heart!!