Thread: Lens Question

Lens Question

I just purchased these Lenses for my Camera and wondered if I just wasted my money LOL

30-110mm f/3.8-5.6

.45x Wide Angle Lens

2.2x Telephoto Lens

Thanks

KellyAnn

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Lens Question

Hi Kelley Ann - welcome to CiC.

This is a bit of an odd question, now that you have purchased this gear. My first question would be to ask what camera you have and my second one would be why do you think you might have wasted your money? To me the only reason I might think I wasted money is if I buy something and then don't use it.

I am sorry I got A Nikon j1 camera and it came with 2 lenses

10-30mm VR and 30-110mm VR

but then it also said people were getting these also

High Definition .43x Wide Angle Lens
    High Definition Pro 2.2x Telephoto Lens

so I got them too and just wondered if I wasted my money

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I think it really depends on the type of photography you do. I personally don't have a problem with either extension lens. I tend to love working with ultra-wide angle lenses as one can do some rather funky shots with them, and the normal maximum 10mm (27mm full-frame equivalent) is not nearly wide enough for my liking, but if you add the 0.43 wide angle adaptor gets you down to around 19mm equivalent lens, so that is certainly something I would use. That being said, one has to be careful when shooting with a super-wide angle to ensure that your image is not just foreground and sky. This shot was taken at roughly the same minimum focal length of the 10mm setting and the 0.43 wide-angle adapter (16mm full-frame equivalent).

Lens Question

The 110mm added to the 2.2 telephoto adapter on the 110mm setting gives you a full-frame equivalent of 300mm, which is okay, but not long enough for wildlife shots. The 2.2 adapter takes that up to an equivalent of a 650mm lens which allows you to get quite close. The only real downside is that it will be a little bit slow and hand holding those focal lengths take a bit of practice. This shot was taken with a lens of the equivalent of that focal length (600mm full-frame equivalent).

Lens Question

Your J1 has a crop factor of 2.7, while the camera I used in both these shots has a crop factor of 1.5. I had a chance to use a friend's Nikon V2 a couple of weeks ago; it was fun to use.

Real Name
    Richard

The wide angle and telephoto adapters for the Nikon J1 lenses will certainly provide extra field of view and closer telephoto capabilities than the naked lens alone. However, the question is; how much will those adapters degrade the image quality? Whether the adapters are worthwhile for you or not is a combination of the image quality that the adapters produce as well as your personal opinion as to what consititues adequate quality.

As an example, although I like the image quality results of and will often use the Canon 1.4x teleconverter on several of my lenses; I am not (except in the case of the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS ii lens with 1.4x TC iii) satisfied with the quality produced by the Canon 2x TC. However, there are many photographers who swear by and really like the 2x TC.

Real Name
    J stands for John

The answer is usually based on what you paid for them. If they are expensive adaptors made by Nikon then they will work fine and could be very useful, that depends on your photography and what you do with it. There is a difference between Tele converters and tele adaptors, the first fits between camera and its lens while the second fits on the front of the camera lens.
    Your description makes me think of adaptors rather than converters. As far as the wide angle is concerned, I prefer to stitch two or more frames for a wide view, though obviously that is not a solution for every subject.

Real Name
    John

I purchased my DSLR with the 18-55mm kit lens and I didn't consider another lens until after I got out in the field and used my gear. I knew what I wanted to shoot but wasn't aware of the kit lens shortcomings (I wanted to get more of the subject into the frame) and there were times when I had a vast space between me and the subject; so my first wants were more focal length. I would suggest getting out there with what you have, trying out the gear and then you can decide if it fits your needs. Determine how each lens is typically used, landscapes, night photography, etc. and see if it fits your shooting style.

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

Hi Richard,

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    As an example, although I like the image quality results of and will often use the Canon 1.4x teleconverter on several of my lenses; I am not (except in the case of the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS ii lens with 1.4x TC iii) satisfied with the quality produced by the Canon 2x TC. However, there are many photographers who swear by and really like the 2x TC.
    That sentence confuses me. Are you happy with the quality of the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS ii lens with 2x TC?

Tony

Real Name
    Richard

Tony,

I have not used the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS ii lens with the 2x Telecoverter Mark-iii but, a fellow camera club member uses this combination frequently for his zoo photography and his images with that combination are quite impressive. The combination provides focal lengths of approximately 140mm to 400mm and an f/stp of approximately f/5.6.

I say approximately because my 1.4x TC will achieve a maximum of 280mm on my 70-200mm lens only when the lens is focused on infinity and I expect the same would be true of the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii lens. Additionally, although the 1.4x TC is only supposed to reduce the aperture one stop, my 1.4x TC actually reduces the aperture to f/5.7 (not f/5.6). This is such a tiny difference that it is hardly worth mentioning...

Real Name
    Nick Rolfe

I have amongst my lenses a 28-110mm and to be honest I use it an awful lot more than the others unless of course I need the zoom lens, but the 28-110mm is excellent for parties etc.
    Nick