Thread: Going,going,gone C&C please

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Going,going,gone C&C please

Early morning on a series of wooden granaries being crushed by years of snow loading. Last year was the last straw (flake?) and the one on the right end finally succumbed.

The light is sunrise and I am wondering if the light on the left granaries is too little. If I try for more exposure enhancement the snow starts to blow out and lose detail in the highlights to right.

Going,going,gone  C&C please

Re: Going,going,gone C&C please

Yes, Trevor, that is the trouble with snow scenes, not that I get to shoot many.

The fine detail is soon lost. I suppose you could try increasing just the midtones a fraction to lighten the woodwork. But I don't really have a problem with this scene as it is now.

Real Name
    Bobo

Nice scene, nicely captured.

This could be one of those times when a 2 exposure HDR might be handy just to get the huts a little lighter?

Real Name
    Jon

Trevor, I like it also. I was wondering two things; is all that foreground really needed? What would this look like in B&W? I like how this shot has the domino look to it.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Yes, Trevor, that is the trouble with snow scenes, not that I get to shoot many.

The fine detail is soon lost. I suppose you could try increasing just the midtones a fraction to lighten the woodwork. But I don't really have a problem with this scene as it is now.
    I am a bit ham handed with the adjustments so I have learned, at least in my hands, not to get too aggressive with the adjustment. I did try fiddling with the midtones but even a slight change and the whole scene became very flat. May be my lack of skill.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Nice scene, nicely captured.

This could be one of those times when a 2 exposure HDR might be handy just to get the huts a little lighter?
    You are probably right. I just don't have the technical skill or the right post processing program to do this. I only use Aperture.

Real Name
    John

Hi Trevor,
    nice shot of an interesting subject.
    I had a little play in PP using PSE9. Hope you don't mind.
    Cheers
    John

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by plumcrak View Post
    Trevor, I like it also. I was wondering two things; is all that foreground really needed? What would this look like in B&W? I like how this shot has the domino look to it.
    sans foreground: Thanks, I was too cautious and tried to adhere to the rule of thirds. Placing the bottom third at the base of the roofline works better.

my black and white: probably could be improved by those who do this sort of thing regularly, but you get the idea anyway
    Last edited by tbob; 14th January 2013 at 11:00 PM.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by JPS View Post
    Hi Trevor,
    nice shot of an interesting subject.
    I had a little play in PP using PSE9. Hope you don't mind.
    Cheers
    John
    Not only don't I mind; i greatly appreciate it. Gives a different perspective and interpretation. More grist for the mill

Real Name
    Jon

I like the B&W. I think with a little adjustment (the snow on the roof is blown, it lost that little bit of shadow on the right side)this could be stellar.

Real Name
    Didace

I'm going to say I like the original crop better. Having all the snow in front somehow adds "weight" to the snow on the roofs. Perhaps not quite so much off the bottom and a little off the top.

Real Name
    Bobo

I think the crop is too close. With the left leaning huts and that close a "cut" the middle ones look like they are going to topple forward down a void. A cut is needed but perhaps only half or so inch from the bottom.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    I think the crop is too close. With the left leaning huts and that close a "cut" the middle ones look like they are going to topple forward down a void. A cut is needed but perhaps only half or so inch from the bottom.
    I have gone even tighter with the crop just to upset Bobo but I have avoided a void and corrected the leaning of the left hut just to cheer him up a bit and yes it is probably cropped a bit to much.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Well. Seems the consensus is a more moderate crop than number two and more than number one. It does seem that a panoramic crop is the best.

Just out of interest, if anyone is indeed interested; this is the original for those who like to play with images and to see where I went with this from the out of camera