Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Uploading Pictures

Real Name
    Clive Kent

Uploading Pictures

Hi All
    I am a complete newbie as far as uploading pictures is concerned and would like some step by step help if at all possible. Which host program would be the easiest for a novice like myself to use and then from there how do I upload to the forum for other members to view my posted picture.
    Many thanks in advance.

Clive

Re: Uploading Pictures

If you want to upload to CinC, Clive, have a read of this HELP THREAD: How can I post images here?

And if you are looking for a personal sharing host site, there are a number of current discussions about using P base, Smugmug, and others.

ps. And if you struggle with uploading, just ask for some extra help. Many of us initially encountered problems. I'm reasonably OK with understanding photo editing but the internet really baffles me.

Real Name
    Richard

I really struggled uploading pictures to any Internet site until I began linking to my smugmug images. IMO, smugmug.com is the easiest method possible for displaying my work on Internet sites. It is easy to upload my imagery to smugmug and is easy to link to these images onto a forum or a blog site. I don't need to worry about image sizes and the results are, IMO, quite good!

Uploading Pictures

Uploading Pictures

Real Name
    Clive Kent

Test Picture Upload

Uploading Pictures

Real Name
    Dave

Well that worked OK. Nice picture, too!

Real Name
    Dan

Like Richard, I upload to my own site on SmugMug first. I use Jeffry Friedl's LR plugins, which work like a charm and don't even require me to create a jpeg on my disk. I post on most other sites my creating a link in SmugMug and pasting the link. The one execption is Flickr. I usually use Friedl's flickr plugin and export directly to Flicker, with the size pre-set. All very simple once you have done it once.

You can go fractionally larger than the image shown here if you wish, Clive; using Tinypics or a linked photo.

I normally work around 1,000 pixels on the large size which is still well within the max size.

Your photo is showing crisp and clear.

Real Name
    Dave

Hello Clive and welcome to CiC.

I find Photobucket easy to use. It does all the normal things - you can organise photos in albums, share them with friends and family easily and use a link to post the shots on here, but I'm sure many others are similar.

Dave

Real Name
    Clive Kent

Thank you all for your help and comments, I must admit it took me some time to get it right, I had no joy with either Flickr or PBase so tried Tinypics/Photobucket. Not sure if Tinypics and Photobucket are linked in any way but having uploaded the picture to Tinypics after logging out and back in I could no longer find it. Tried to make an account and it sent me to the Photobucket page where I registered and was able to make a named file to keep my uploaded pictures in. Found that I could upload in exactly the same way so I am happy with that at the moment.
    Yes Geoff I wasn't sure on sizes allowed on CinC so I reduced the original size to 700 on the longest side.

Clive

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Clive,

If you read the first two posts in the link Geoff gave you, all is explained in a step-by-step fashion, including image sizes preferred.

Here it is again;
    HELP THREAD: How can I post images here?

As I think you've since discovered - there's no need to go to TinyPic and log on there separately, it can all be done from here.

Welcome to the CiC forums from ....