Thread: How to clean the glass

How to clean the glass

So I've had my 5dmkII for a bit over a month now and I have moderate dust on my EF 24-105mm F/4 IS L lens, and some on my EF 50mm F/1.4 prime. I've been extremely careful and the glass on the lenses has never been touched. I think it's time to be cleaned though.

What do I need to do it -properly-, and how do I do it? I'll be pretty annoyed if I end up scratching my only L lens, so I'm not looking for the necessarily cheap answer

Side note: The sensor seems to be fine - I've been very careful when switching lenses and the automatic sensor cleaning on power-off seems to be doing its job. Also worth mentioning is that no dust (yet) is showing up on my images, but I havn't tried shooting closed down. Looking at the front element though it is fairly dirty -- I've taken it camping with me a couple times in very dusty environments.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 22nd October 2009 at 09:56 PM.

Real Name
    Ali

Re: How to clean the glass

Quote Originally Posted by KentDub View Post
    So I've had my 5dmkII for a bit over a month now and I have moderate dust on my EF 24-105mm F/4 IS L lens, and some on my EF 50mm F/1.4 prime. I've been extremely careful and the glass on the lenses has never been touched. I think it's time to be cleaned though.

What do I need to do it -properly-, and how do I do it? I'll be pretty annoyed if I end up scratching my only L lens, so I'm not looking for the necessarily cheap answer

Side note: The sensor seems to be fine - I've been very careful when switching lenses and the automatic sensor cleaning on power-off seems to be doing its job. Also worth mentioning is that no dust (yet) is showing up on my images, but I havn't tried shooting closed down. Looking at the front element though it is fairly dirty -- I've taken it camping with me a couple times in very dusty environments.

Thanks in advance
    Put a UV filter on the lens and never take it off! That way you don't need to clean your ony L lens. But that is more for prevention...
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 22nd October 2009 at 09:57 PM.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Alis View Post
    Put a UV filter on the lens and never take it off! That way you don't need to clean your ony L lens. But that is more for prevention...
    Couldn't agree more

With regards to cleaning - just get a microfibre cloth from your local photo outlet or optician; works fine (simple job).

Don't worry about dust on front element too much though - it doesn't show in shots (if you don't believe me, cut a piece of paper a few mm square and put that on the front element and see if you can see it).

PS: You may need to use a little "L-Breath" in conjunction with the cloth

Real Name

I havn't tried shooting closed down.
    That's the only reason you're not seeing it

Take a shot of something bland at F22 - long exposure - and totally out of focus (blue sky, plain wall etc) - apply a little contrast to the image in PP - "enjoy"

Should I order a microfiber cloth online that is specifically made for cleaning camera lenses? I've read a few places online that ones made for eye glasses contain chemicals that will harm the lens coating.

I've also read that you should use one of those squeeze air things to try to get as much off before using a cloth - as to not rub/scratch the lens.... sounds like it makes sence, but does it make a difference?

Although I don't have any fingerprints on the lenses, I've seen the lens fluid recommend for that situation.

Sorry about my paranoia.

Real Name

Should I order a microfiber cloth online that is specifically made for cleaning camera lenses?
    No - there's nothing special about them.

I've read a few places online that ones made for eye glasses contain chemicals that will harm the lens coating.
    You probably read it in an advertisement by one of the more expensive producers of their cloth!

I've also read that you should use one of those squeeze air things to try to get as much off before using a cloth - as to not rub/scratch the lens.... sounds like it makes sence, but does it make a difference?
    For dust it won't make any difference. If it were something like salt crystals from evaporated seawater then it might be a different story. That's the beauty of using a UV filter - you can just take them off and run them under the tap.

If it helps, I've heard of a demonstration where a rep stubbed out his cigarette on the front element of a lens, and it didn't damage it (to prove a point). They don't like sharp objects, but they're not as delicate as they look. I just use a microfibre cloth I got from my opticial - a bit of breath - - quick wipe and "job done". Only suggestion I'd make is wash and throughly dry your hands first so that you don't get finger oils soaking into the cloth and shortening it's useful life. Also pays to keep the cloth in a sealable bag - the last thing you want to do is have it pick up some grit somewhere.

Alright then thanks... looks like I'm off to wally-world (walmart).

Real Name

Alright then thanks... looks like I'm off to wally-world (walmart).
    We await the results with baited L-breath!

Should I order a microfiber cloth online that is specifically made for cleaning camera lenses? I've read a few places online that ones made for eye glasses contain chemicals that will harm the lens coating.
    I bought a Hakuba brand microfibre cloth from a camera store and found out that it had a lot of lint in it. Now I'm using a 3M microfibre cloth that is much better. I keep in in a zip-lock bag in my camera bag so it doesnt pick up any dirt. I only use it for lenses and filters. I keep a separate cloth to wipe the outside of the camera.

This is how I've done it for years on my lenses and filters:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuuisPb42dE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03EVT...eature=channel

And this is how I clean my camera sensor and focusing screen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRo7p...eature=channel
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiyfkrPXiPs

How to clean your camera's and lens' contacts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41hAg...eature=channel
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhZrf...eature=channel

Hand bulbs (rocket blowers) works find for most situations, but but if you have stubborn particles (mostly held on by static charge); you can use a brush, wet, or adhesive technique (like Visible Dust, Eclipse, or Dust Aide) but it requires having physical contact with the sensor. Though scratching the surface coating can occur, it's rare. Then again, if not properly allowed to dry, trapped moisture is bad for cameras and lenses.

I carry a rocket blower and micro clothe in my gear bag all the times, but I use a FireFly blower (pricey but well worth it) the night before I am about to go out shooting.

Demonstration video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHexaG--mkw
    http://www.slrgeek.com/geek-speak-ph...r-cleaner.html

http://www.nrdfirefly.com/?gclid=CLm...FQmbnAod0X0bqQ

I keep one of these in my bag. I like the clip, and the 18% grey is a bonus

Quote Originally Posted by GillR View Post
    I keep one of these in my bag. I like the clip, and the 18% grey is a bonus
    Hey that thing is pretty neat. I might just have to pick that up if I can find a US version.

Hey that thing is pretty neat. I might just have to pick that up if I can find a US version.
    What I use:

http://www.adorama.com/CPZ.html
    http://www.adorama.com/CPSMFCB.html?...o=micro+clothe

I leave one on my belt or camera strap.

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks in advance
    Clean it only when necessary and not before. The UV idea is fine but generally a very fine lintless cloth with distilled water to damp it slightly; that is what I would do with an expensive lens, but blow off the dust first.

It's made by Alpine, which is an American company so you shouldn't have any trouble