Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Went out II

Real Name
    Bobo

Went out II

In addition to the dead "life" in the earlier set, I tried to do a first time with ice crystals.

100% fail on that as it is really really hard to do. Lots of failed shots later had to settle for either nothing or get the shots from a bit wider.

Next time will carry a magnifying glass, a low profile tripod, hand warmers, weather boots. Possibly a folding stool and knee pads as well.

Went out II

Went out II

Went out II

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Went out II

Also try converting to black-and-white to emphasize the shapes and textures.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Mike.

Good suggestion but left them in colour for this time. Plan is to shoot for b/w on the next try. Have to get a low profile tripod first. Other stuff I have already.

Edit -
    Since posting the reply, I took a look around at web images. Most are b/w, then 2 tone, and relatively fewer in colour. I hope/like to be somewhat less orthodox and different. Suggestions please.
    Last edited by Bobobird; 12th January 2013 at 12:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    I hope/like to be somewhat less orthodox and different. Suggestions please.
    Be different because the resulting image is at least as good or better than the norm. Being different merely for the sake of being different won't be successful, at least not in the long run.

Real Name
    Bobo

You know that is not what I meant.

I will think of something...

The only criteria I have atm is - in a natural environment ie outside.
    Last edited by Bobobird; 12th January 2013 at 01:12 AM.

Actually, I didn't know that is not what you meant. That might be due to the terrific wine my wife and I had at dinner just now rather than your or my thought process. Sorry, but no helpful ideas come to mind at the moment.

Real Name
    Bobo

haha, that is better then any idea. Have a few more on me.

Real Name
    Greg

I like that 3rd one, Bobo, but the 2nd one leaves me cold Could I suggest zooming in and cropping a part from the middle of it? That way it might give it some focus.

I like the 2nd one

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Jennifer, appreciate the feedback.

Welcome to CiC.

Real Name
    Matthew

Bobo, I prefer #2. I like the fact that it's just an abstract pattern with nothing else. Normally that would be boring but in this case I feel that the randomness of the ice forms and bubbles is enough to hold my interest.

I agree with Mike on trying B/W versions. However personally I would like to see #2 or something similar with a bit of a bluish tone to it to emphasize the cold feeling.

Regarding knee pads, you won't find me on a shoot without them. Mine are thick foam, very comfortable, with velcro straps to put on/off quickly and easily. In addition they are very lightweight and I strap them to my backpack until needed.

Another tip I just remembered which may or may not be relevant to what you'll be shooting (and you may already know this) is that if you are shooting very fine ice crystals like fringes on leaves and such: Keep your distance as much as possible, and turn away when you exhale your breath. Fine crystals melt very quickly; it's surprising how being near them sets that in motion.

Can't wait to see more shots.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Matt for the feedback and tips.

I tend to keep blue more on the subtle side generally but will try out your suggestion to see how it works out.

My knee pads are also the foam type and also strapped to the bag.

Tip 2 is great. Never crossed my mind. Thanks.

Real Name
    Bobo

As suggested by Mike and Greg. These are redos of #1-3.

Black and white with a hint of blue.

Better? Worse? Needs something?

Thanks.

1a.
    Went out II

2a
    Went out II

3a
    Went out II

Real Name
    Bobo

Adding one that I had not originally processed.

Went out II

Real Name
    Matthew

I'm glad you added #4 because I quite like it. For me it's the best of the series. When I was looking at #1 I was thinking, "I wish there was a shot that focused on that seed pod thing" ... and then you added it! As far as the B&W, for some reason in this series of photos I prefer the color ones over the B&W. The best way I can think of to explain it is that in the color versions, the "warmer tones" and colors give the eye something to rest on. Not sure if that makes sense or not though

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Matt. #4 is a 2 image pano, the odd part is that I have moved away after taking #1 and the rest was shot like half an hour later. Somehow got the same angles. Did not click when going through the images at first but had a "why not" when doing the b/w.

About the b/w - in outside conditions going colour or b/w is a hard call to make. I just liked the colours so b/w never even crossed my mind. If it had might have gone for angles that provided more "edginess" and contrast.

Will see how the next excursion gives. We have been hit by almost spring conditions and everything has melted so will just have to wait longer for winter to return.

Good news is the low profile tripod arrived yesterday.

Real Name
    Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Will see how the next excursion gives. We have been hit by almost spring conditions and everything has melted so will just have to wait longer for winter to return.

Good news is the low profile tripod arrived yesterday.
    Well regardless of the outside conditions, I'm sure you'll produce fantastic photos of whatever is there. If you don't mind me asking, what tripod did you get? Is it one that can go tall but then splay the legs wide to get low, or is it just always tiny and low? I need to be looking into a carbon fiber 'pod of one these days...

Real Name
    Jeff

Adding one that I had not originally processed. - This one's got something Bobo

All of the monochrome images work much better for me. That's because the distracting element of color is eliminated, allowing the various shapes and textures to dominate.

I especially like Photo #4, though I would crop it at the bottom just above where the diagonal line is displayed.

Real Name
    Bobo

This is the low tripod. Ordered it from a friend's shop for slightly over the B&H price.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...2_Section.html.

I also have a full size Manfrotto.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...bon_Fiber.html
    The legs can be splayed almost flat but the centre column has to be raised and moved into a sideways position. Allows really low level work. But the legs even one section are pretty long to get it into position between large rocks etc. Found this out the other day with these shots hence the need for a table top version.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast