Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Old Dog And New Tricks

Real Name
    Richard

Old Dog And New Tricks

I guess that I am the pervobial old dog who cannot be taught new tricks. However, I also go along with the old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!".

Specifically, I have never had any problems with the set up for cropping that has been the standard in Photoshop through CS-5 and Photoshop Elements (at least) through PSE-10.

Having my crop marks above the image and moving the crop lines around within the image seem logical and quite easy for me. I have been cropping on an enlarger like this since I first started darkroom work in 1958.

I can't see the advantage to setting up the crop marks and moving the image around underneath these crop marks as is now done in CS-6. I was at a Photoshop class last evening and the instructor was singing the praises of the CS-6 system of cropping.

Could anyone please briefly tell me the advantages of the new system over the old system!

Real Name
    Terri

Re: Old Dog And New Tricks

Probably that they get to add it to the list of "improvements" to justify the expense of an upgrade.

I agree with you. That doesn't sound like a better way, just a different way that will have its supporters. I don't use the CS products. Any chance there's an option to choose your method?

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

I find it useful when I have to crop to a set ratio. Just slide the image around until I get the best result but you can still drag the crop frame corners and edges.
    What does annoy me is that it seems to ignore the enter key once I have determined the crop.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I can't see the advantage to setting up the crop marks and moving the image around underneath these crop marks as is now done in CS-6.
    If you carry a card with a rectangle cut out of the middle of it to view scenes to help you pre-visualize the photo , the software process that you describe replicates the process of using the card.

Real Name
    Richard

I am trying to figure out what the problems were that precipitated this fix? I have not experienced poblems cropping with any earlier version of Photoshop or PSE!

A wise man once said, Change always gives the illusion of progress but, is not always actually progress. Come to think of it that wise guy (I mean wise man) might have been me!

Real Name
    Dan

I must be turning into an old fart. I HATE software upgrades. I've been needing a new laptop for a while. I started noticing all of the advertisements were showing Windows 8 so I ran out and bought one to sneak in under the wire while I could still get one with Windos 7.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    I must be turning into an old fart. I HATE software upgrades. I've been needing a new laptop for a while. I started noticing all of the advertisements were showing Windows 8 so I ran out and bought one to sneak in under the wire while I could still get one with Windos 7.
    I am with you there "Old Fart" from another Old Fart!

Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I
    Having my crop marks above the image and moving the crop lines around within the image seem logical and quite easy for me. I have been cropping on an enlarger like this since I first started darkroom work in 1958.

I can't see the advantage to setting up the crop marks and moving the image around underneath these crop marks as is now done in CS-6. I was at a Photoshop class last evening and the instructor was singing the praises of the CS-6 system of cropping.

Could anyone please briefly tell me the advantages of the new system over the old system!

I bungle along with CS5 but from what you say of CS6 - isn't moving the image around a bit like moving the masking frame around beneath the enlarger.

From another "Old Fart" who doesn't really care

Real Name
    Dave

I go along with the "not broke don't fix it" rule, or as "any evolutionary biologist" will tell you: "however many ways there are of being alive, there are a great many more ways of being dead."

On this particular issue, though, I found it when a moved from PSE to LR4 a few months ago. It was a bit confusing for a day or so, now I can just move between them

OF#3

Real Name
    Alex

The new cropping method matches the crop tool in Lightroom. It may just be standardisation of code between Photoshop and Lightroom. They then spin this as an improvement to try and placate people who liked the old method.

It is the same with the new dark interface in CS6 (which matches Lightroom). Although with that you can set it back to the old style. I don't think you can set back the crop tool.

Alex

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Hi Richard

Don't despair, all is not lost !!

With the crop tool selected, have a look at the options at the top - there is a round settings button just to the left of the "delete cropped pixels" check box. Click on the settings button and select "Use Classic Mode" and you should be in business. Also note that if the "delete cropped pixels" box is un-checked, you can restore the crop at a later date (ie it's non-destructive).

Dave

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I flit back between the current and the "classic" mode, so I can't say whether or not one is better that the other. When I first switched to PS6, I stuck with the classic for a bit, but have been using "new & improved" as well. The new mode really reminds me of how I setup my easel under the enlarger, and while it takes a tiny bit of getting used to, I could go either way.

I'm definitely of the school, "if it isn't broken, break it".

Real Name
    Dan

As another old dog, I think that the only difference is what we are used to. The two approaches are functionally equivalent. I was a bit put off by the new approach when i first encountered in in Lightroom, but I became accustomed to it quickly, and now I would just as soon not switch back and forth. My advice is to use the new method for a few weeks. I'm guessing that you won't even notice it after a short time.