Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Beautiful Baby . . .

Real Name
    Kathy

Beautiful Baby . . .

This is my beautiful grand daughter Magdalene (Maggie) she is now almost 6 months old. I like this photo, let me know what you think, comments and advice are welcome.

Kathy

Beautiful Baby . . .

Real Name
    Shane

Re: Beautiful Baby . . .

Maggie is a beautiful baby and you took a lovely shot of her. My first impression is that the colors of her shirt and the blanket are distracting from a lovely portrait. I took the liberty of desaturating those colors very quickly in Photoshop, to the point where you almost have a black and white portrait (please let me know if you want me to remove it). I do love the color in her eyes and subtle skin tone and wouldn't want to lose either in a total mono conversion.

Please keep in mind that I am a newbie here and with Photoshop so I am just giving you an opinion.

Beautiful Baby . . .

Real Name
    Remco

To be frank, I don't like the effect with the gray skin and coloured cloth.
    (My first thought was: 'what did she do to the poor thing'...).
    Otherwise it's a very nice portrait of a beautiful baby girl which could work in colour and in B/W.

You desaturated the baby in PP, I guess (looking at the border between skin and blanket)?

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Kathy,

Position the photo of gorgeous Maggie on your monitor. Shut your eyes and think about anything that makes you temporarily forget the photo. Then open your eyes. What's the very first thing that you see? If it's Maggie's clothes and blanket instead of Maggie, the photo doesn't work despite your very creative approach.

Real Name
    Kathy

I do appreciate what all has been said about this photo. I do have 5 versions of this photo so the one I have posted is not the only one I made. I will say this is what I see and like about my photo that I posted. I feel that a photo should tell a story, the first thing that I see when I close my eyes and reopen them (looking at the photo) is Maggies beautiful eye's and face,(I did this several times after it was suggested) the second thing I notice is her favorite toy "Tigger" that her Grandpa gave her when she was born. I am hoping that maybe in years to come (or even now) her parents will look at this and say "awwww she is so beautiful and she just loved that "TIgger" . . . and the green shirt, well I thought it looked better with the shirt colored than not colored. Here are the 5 versions of this photo, my favorite is the one with Grandpa in black and white (that is because I love her grandpa so much)

Thanks for looking and for your comments

Beautiful Baby . . .

Beautiful Baby . . .

Beautiful Baby . . .

Beautiful Baby . . .

Beautiful Baby . . .

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneS View Post
    Maggie is a beautiful baby and you took a lovely shot of her. My first impression is that the colors of her shirt and the blanket are distracting from a lovely portrait. I took the liberty of desaturating those colors very quickly in Photoshop, to the point where you almost have a black and white portrait (please let me know if you want me to remove it). I do love the color in her eyes and subtle skin tone and wouldn't want to lose either in a total mono conversion.

Please keep in mind that I am a newbie here and with Photoshop so I am just giving you an opinion.

Beautiful Baby . . .
    Shane I respect your opinion very much and you do not have to remove the photo. I actually have a blk/white version of my photo also, but I do like your version better than my blk/white.

Real Name
    Maggie Reyes

I really like the b/w with the color eyes. Plus, she has a great name.