Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Brooklyn Bridge

Real Name
    Jason

Brooklyn Bridge

Hey all,

I bought a nikkor 24-70 f2.8 two weeks ago but have been sick with a cold and busy with the holidays and such. so I have been dying to go out and use it. Today I finally had a chance to get out there and use it. Which was fantastic. The not so fantastic thing is I discovered that my d600 does have the oil spot problem. I don't often shoot stopped that far down to see them. However today I was and it is very irritating to see. I have heard a rumor on the net that the oil spots stop forming somewhere around 3000 clicks. I believe I have around 10-15k so far so hopefully if I get the sensor cleaned it wont be a problem anymore.

Anyway here's one of the photos from today. I tried to remove some of the spots but there are just too many.

Brooklyn Bridge

CC always welcome,

Jason

Real Name
    John

Re: Brooklyn Bridge

Hi Jason,
    that's a lovely shot, well done. Let hope once the camera is clean that will solve the 'spotting' problem. However these do not distract from a very nice picture. The only thing that I think it needs is a 1 degree rotation to the left, as it doesnt look quiet level to me; or are my old eyes playing tricks again?
    Anyhow a great shot and am glad you finally got to try your new lens.
    Cheers
    John

Real Name
    Grahame

Jason, How can anyone wait two weeks before trying a new lens

Are you absolutely sure they are oil spots and not dust on your sensor ?

Have you tried stopping down, taking a pic of the sky then giving the sensor a light blow then taking another and comparing to see if the spots have changed/moved ?

Real Name
    James

Hey Jason - I have to agree with Grahame ! If I had a 24-70 even if I was dying I think I would have tried it out - I would have shot the Kleenex box by the bed, the NyQuil bottle, ANYTHING just let me try that new lens!!! Of course, I am a bit of a fanatic when it comes to equipment (and PP, and photography in general) so perhaps it's just me.

Anyhow, all that aside I also agree that it's a great image (shot with a great camera - sorry Cannon ) I like your composition and your choice of f-stop - always did like the stars around the light in night shots - well done!

Real Name
    Robin

Maybe I need my eyes tested again, I have had catarct ops on both eyes.
    I can not see your spots, except maybe one in the water!

Great shot, I like it, colours/contrast/ lots to look at.
    Definitely not minimalist.

Real Name
    Jason

Thanks everyone for replying.

John,

I think your right about the leveling. and thanks

James and Grahame,

I couldn't wait two weeks either. I photographed almost everything in my apartment. Yesterday I was finally free and was nice enough to go out shooting though.

Robin,

No you don't need your eyes tested. I did remove the most blaring ones in post prod. If you looked it more zoomed in than is possible on the browser there are lots of spots. If you look at the top left corner you'll see them.

Thanks again everyone,

Jason

Real Name
    Richard

Great shot of the old lady! Although raised in Brooklyn, I never saw the bridge at night from the shore. At one time, that area was not the safest.