Thread: Tri-colored Herons

Real Name
    Joe

Tri-colored Herons

Today in the sunshine state the day broke with cloudy skies and showers predicted, temparatures in the low 60's burrrrrrr. So I stayed inside and worked on photos. These are images that I re-worked today. I find as time goes on my taste changes and I see things that I did not before. C&C welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Tri-colored Herons

Tri-colored Herons

#3 In this image I hated the water in the background so I changed it to monochrome.

Tri-colored Herons

Can you tell I love reflections....

Tri-colored Herons

Real Name
    Kevin

Re: Tri-colored Herons

"I find as time goes on my taste changes and I see things that I did not before."

Funny that you should say that today, Joe. I said almost those exact words to my wife today- regarding my photography, not her . I wonder if that will always be true, that our taste, style and preferences will continue to evolve but perhaps less rapidly over time.

PS
    No sympathy from these parts for temps in the low 60's

Real Name
    Terri

Goodness, what a clear reflection in #1. I like them all but for some reason I'm really drawn to the last one. It's kind of bright, but I'm just compelled to keep looking. Maybe the simplicity of it focuses my attention?

Real Name
    Susan

Hi Joe - I've been noticing your beautiful bird shots. Maybe Florida has more to offer than I thought!

My favorite in this bunch is #3. Could you tell me how you changed just the water and not the whole picture to monochrome? (Yup, I'm a newbie.)

Real Name
    Bobo

Great set Joe.

I would have given an arm and a leg (nah! probably something nicer) for a closer shot at that last one.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by kdoc856 View Post
    "I find as time goes on my taste changes and I see things that I did not before."

Funny that you should say that today, Joe. I said almost those exact words to my wife today- regarding my photography, not her . I wonder if that will always be true, that our taste, style and preferences will continue to evolve but perhaps less rapidly over time.

PS
    No sympathy from these parts for temps in the low 60's
    Hi Kevin, I find that as I learn more and my post processing skills improve that I see things I can do now that I could not earlier in my learing curve. Also as I look at others images I seen how mine can be improved. Not sure if my tastes will keep changing but maybe as I evolve as a nature photographer.

P.S. It was low 80's here today... my kind of weather.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by terrib View Post
    Goodness, what a clear reflection in #1. I like them all but for some reason I'm really drawn to the last one. It's kind of bright, but I'm just compelled to keep looking. Maybe the simplicity of it focuses my attention?
    Hello Terri, thank you for viewing and commenting. In #1 the water was perfectly calm providing the reflection. The last image is definitely high key. I like it a lot for the reason you say, the simplicity. I think that is going to be printed on canvas for my wall.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by pasusan View Post
    Hi Joe - I've been noticing your beautiful bird shots. Maybe Florida has more to offer than I thought!

My favorite in this bunch is #3. Could you tell me how you changed just the water and not the whole picture to monochrome? (Yup, I'm a newbie.)
    Hello Susan, welcome to CIC. Thank you for the compliment. Florida is wonderful, for the weather and bird photography. In #3 I used Adobe Lightroom 4. Using the HSL ( hue, saturation, and luminance ) sliders I desaturated the color of the water. The using the Tone Curve, specifically the point curve worked on the shades until it was pleasing to my eye. No real recipe like do this or that, I just mess around until it is what I envision.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Great set Joe.

I would have given an arm and a leg (nah! probably something nicer) for a closer shot at that last one.
    Hey Bobo, your wish is my command.

Tri-colored Herons

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by jprzybyla View Post
    Hey Bobo, your wish is my command.

Tri-colored Herons
    Joe,
    that looks good, very good.
    Cheers
    John