Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Leaf me alone!

Real Name
    Steve

Re: Photo Challenge for October 2009

My first submission "Leaf Me Alone", C&C would be welcome, but don't be too harsh!

I think perhaps I have cooled the colours down too much.

img_0355_edited1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Steve,

I'm not on my usual monitor at the moment, but it looks OK to me saturation wise.
    The biggest issue I see is the lack of the poor chap's feet

Exposure looks good (given the caveat above).
    Also compositionally, perhaps a little more down the left hand edge, he's just a tad too close to the edge for my liking, but others may disagree.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks Dave

You have settled an argument with the wife telling me that the colours were better in the original shot.

Steve

Hi steve, great shot!

I love the contrast of the kids pants, it's very interesting. I'm not too sure about the skin tones - looks quite a bit yellow to me. If you cropped the photo, why did you crop his feet?

Keep up the good work

Re: Leaf me alone!

Unless we can see the original we can't really give an opinion on which photo is best, however assuming it was a dull day, that photo looks OK for colour and sharpness.

Personally, I would crop a lot closer. Having the main subject off centre can work well if there is something else to create a balance, otherwise I think it can look like a mistake.

And as he doesn't have shoes, in that photo, I would consider cropping above the knees to give a half body shot which would concentrate the eye on his face and hands.

But basically, the subject is a good photo.

Real Name
    Ali

It is a very nice shot. I like the colors, although I actually think it is a bit too warm for the skin. May be you can selectively correct the skin and leave the rest as is, nice and colorful.

However, although not something you can fix right now, the biggest problem I see other than the cropping which has already been mentioned is lack of sharpness. Looks like the boy's pants is sharp, so I assume the DOF is too shallow (f 3.2).

i love this pic......i love the blurry background.......i love the contrast the kid ic creating with the background.... my only complaint is cutting the kids shoes off! should have gone in for a long shot of the kid......or croping the kid below the knees might have created more balance and smoothness in over all pic too much breathing space above! well the bottom line, needs some composition tweaks,thats all

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks everyone for your comments. It is much appreciated. I can see I have some work to do on getting the composition right.

Regarding the skin tone, his mother (my present wife!), is half chinese and so he is a little yellow anyway to be honest but I can see what you mean.

Thanks again for taking the time to look and comment