Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: In need of healthy feedback.

  1. #1
    Slabstick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Posts
    76
    Real Name
    Larry McMahon

    In need of healthy feedback.

    Hello,
    My name is Larry. I have been taking photos a long time. I have recently decided to get my first DSLR. I bought a Canon T3i 600D. I am unable to take any classes due to my work schedule. So I have a huge learning curve. Trying to teach myself is at best a brain overload. I have read, read, and reread lots of material already. I have been to utube countless times for tutorials. All has been a pleasant experience and I have learned a lot. I was even schooled a bit on this forum earlier tonight. Nice folks, really wanting to help and have. I have here some photos I took yesterday. I would really like to know if they are any good. I do use Lr4 as I really like to enhance the colors somewhat. Be honest. I need to know the truth and what I can do to correct them. Thanks and, I hope to get to know some of you and learn from you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Slabstick; 7th January 2013 at 02:26 AM.

  2. #2
    Andrew76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,300
    Real Name
    Andrew

    Re: In need of healthy feedback.

    Hey Larry - I'm just about to run out the door, so I don't have time to critique each shot individually. But, I noticed one major factor in all of your shots (just breezing through them), I think you may be using the powers of LR4 colour adjustment a little too liberally.

    With the exception of the first two, the blues look way, way over the top. So maybe tone that back a little. All in all, pretty good shots. Not a fan of the centered object in #1, may have been a bit more eye catching if you had taken it from a different angle, or offset it a little to one side.

    But again, if I had some more time, I'd offer a little more - hope that's OK!

  3. #3
    rawill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Southland - New Zealand
    Posts
    472
    Real Name
    Robin

    Re: In need of healthy feedback.

    Larry I haven't looked at your photos,
    but here are two things from another newbie.

    Put up one picture at a time, that is the advice I was given.
    Give the details, speed, aperture, iso (maybe) and tell us what you think of the photo.

    2nd, the above feedback of overdoing the PP is about normal for us newbies.

    We start to play and either overdo it or don't do enough.

    Have fun

    Rbn

    Have had a look, and yes one photo is very blue,
    The dam I like, water is not too silky, some water photos are far too silky for me,
    but apparently some love this look. It is only me, but I love water and sky.
    You can't get any sky in this shot of the dam, so that is all there is to it.

    Enjoy the learning.
    When you figure out layers send me a message!
    Last edited by rawill; 7th January 2013 at 02:53 AM.

  4. #4
    Slabstick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Posts
    76
    Real Name
    Larry McMahon

    Re: In need of healthy feedback.

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew76 View Post
    Hey Larry - I'm just about to run out the door, so I don't have time to critique each shot individually. But, I noticed one major factor in all of your shots (just breezing through them), I think you may be using the powers of LR4 colour adjustment a little too liberally.

    With the exception of the first two, the blues look way, way over the top. So maybe tone that back a little. All in all, pretty good shots. Not a fan of the centered object in #1, may have been a bit more eye catching if you had taken it from a different angle, or offset it a little to one side.

    But again, if I had some more time, I'd offer a little more - hope that's OK!
    Ok great, that's what I'm looking for. Lr4 is a whole new ball game for me as we'll. I am really studying a lot on it too. But as I said, "self taught" so thanks for letting me know I'm being too liberal cause, I don't know.

  5. #5
    Slabstick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Posts
    76
    Real Name
    Larry McMahon

    Re: In need of healthy feedback.

    Quote Originally Posted by rawill View Post
    I haven't at your photos, but here are two things from another newbie.

    Put up one picture at a time, that is the advice I was given.
    Give the details, speed, aperture, iso (maybe) and tell us what you think of the photo.

    2nd, the above feedback of overdoing the PP is about normal for us newbies.

    We start to play and either overdo it or don't do enough.

    Have fun

    Rbn
    Ok, will do. Thanks for the input.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    6,571
    Real Name
    Dan

    Re: In need of healthy feedback.

    As was already mentioned, post one at a time or perhaps a couple of versions of the same scene asking which is best.

  7. #7
    Slabstick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Posts
    76
    Real Name
    Larry McMahon

    Re: In need of healthy feedback.

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    As was already mentioned, post one at a time or perhaps a couple of versions of the same scene asking which is best.
    Yeah, I might have been a bit too anxious. Good idea. Thank you.

  8. #8
    Letrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Haarlem, Netherlands
    Posts
    1,683
    Real Name
    Peter

    Re: In need of healthy feedback.

    Hi Larry. I think I like the last three best in terms of how you composed them. The second one looks ok and the first one is not that interesting really right now. I think you have to get closer to that building to bring it out more. It captured your attention, but that did not come out as much. You were on the other side of that river of course, so that makes it slightly more complicated ;-).
    The colours...yes, they are over the top. Starts to look like heavy HDR now. I don't mind seeing a few photos at the same time by the way, it gives a good impression of what you do. After that initial try out you can try for individual photos if you go through the PP process.
    Keep your own taste in there though. People might not always like what you did, but you take these photos for yourself, right? You have to enjoy them and develop a certain style first and foremost.

  9. #9
    Slabstick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Posts
    76
    Real Name
    Larry McMahon

    Re: In need of healthy feedback.

    Quote Originally Posted by Letrow View Post
    Hi Larry. I think I like the last three best in terms of how you composed them. The second one looks ok and the first one is not that interesting really right now. I think you have to get closer to that building to bring it out more. It captured your attention, but that did not come out as much. You were on the other side of that river of course, so that makes it slightly more complicated ;-).
    The colours...yes, they are over the top. Starts to look like heavy HDR now. I don't mind seeing a few photos at the same time by the way, it gives a good impression of what you do. After that initial try out you can try for individual photos if you go through the PP process.
    Keep your own taste in there though. People might not always like what you did, but you take these photos for yourself, right? You have to enjoy them and develop a certain style first and foremost.
    Thank you for the feedback. I like to hear what others think about my photos. There is a web site called 500px, it has stunning photos. Some folks may think the PP is bit much but, I like color. I'm not that crazy about HDR so your comment helps me to tone it down some. Also, I'm just learning Lr4 so, there are some functions still I am not too familiar with. Thanks again.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •