Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just one more to go

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Just one more to go

I provided a series of photos shown here beginning when this orchid had only two fully open blossoms. Now that there is only one blossom left to open and that this photo has a black background (most of the photos in that other thread have a white background) I decided to give this photo a thread of its own.

C&C encouraged as always, though I have nothing to ask.

Just one more to go

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: Just one more to go

Floating orchids, wow!

Joke aside this is an excellent/sexy image. Great clarity, light control etc. The top 3 even look as if they are yapping with you.

One niggle - I find that little brown protrusion at the bottom distracting. Seems to imply continuance but there is nothing if you catch my drift.

Yes, I think it would look more natural if there was a piece of stem going out of the frame.

Focus and exposure are excellent.

I agree with both of you about the end of the branch. One tiny bulb to be died and fell off. The other one on the very end is one that apparently will never get bigger, much less open.

I know nothing about plants, so I don't know if this digital manipulation works. Does that part of the plant still seem natural?

Just one more to go

Real Name
    Bobo

Certainly looks better but my gut says that plants/flowers need to be anchored either with a background ie a top down flower shot or the stem or petals for a side shot.

For example these 2. I was told that the first one works but the 2nd did not. Same flower, different crop.
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-W...20330_1233.jpg
    https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-B...330_1233-3.jpg

The explanation was that the OOF flower in the corner implied that the main subject was coming out of something, whereas the 2nd had no visible or implied support so was floating and not natural. I asked what about "artistic" expression. He told me to look at paintings and try to find one without anchoring of one sort or other.

Btw the "He" is one of a bunch of guys who let me hang around with them. They are long time 30-40 year amateur photographers who are regularly exhibited or published. So who am I to argue?
    Last edited by Bobobird; 6th January 2013 at 11:41 PM.

Real Name
    Steve

I think it is a nice image, mike. There are 2 issues that need addressed to make it better.

First was mentioned by bobo, it looks like it's floating. I think if you crop the top and ground the first flower to the top edge of the frame, it will take away the floating look.

Second , the whites are too hot. A reverse S curve with the curves tool (too much bad contrast is not good with flowers), add some saturation(LAB) and Contrast (unsharp mask) to pick it back up , a little more blacks will help as well.

Real Name
    Bobo

Interesting point there Steve. Grounding top edge never ever crossed my mind. Will experiment with that.

You folks are great!

Ironically, the one thing that all of you make me feel good about is that I envisioned a floating look. I didn't realize that people don't like it. Yikes! In fact, I had remembered that both Chinese art and Georgia O'Keefe paintings used a floating look. So, I looked stuff up and, though I didn't spend a lot of time at it, I couldn't find a single example.

I grounded the version shown below by cropping the top part. I also applied a reverse S curve as Steve suggested but only to the whites. Doing that (I think) eliminated the need to make the other adjustments that he mentioned. I really like the way Steve post-processes his own images, so I look forward to his reaction to this version.

Just one more to go
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 7th January 2013 at 12:46 AM.

As I continue to think about everyone's comments and continue to review the details of the image, I'm more and more convinced that whatever failings it has has to do with me being out of my knowledge zone; I don't photograph flowers or view others' photos of flowers regularly, so I don't know what I like and what I don't like to the same degree as other types of photos that I make.

Real Name
    Steve

Looks better mike, but you can still get alot more detail in the flowers...............................

Just one more to go

Real Name
    John

Guy's,
    I've been quietly following this thread, quietly because I'm not skilled enough to advise. I just wanted to say I love the way the picture has progressed. Another good example of members working together for the good of us all.
    Well done and may I say "A very nice picture"
    Cheers
    John

Real Name
    Joe

Maybe it is just me but I like the floating orchids for a composition in Mike's original and the clarity and detail Steve's edit. I grow orchids and have tried showing the blossom/blossoms without a stem in a composition, it never worked as well as Mike's grouping.

Real Name
    Bobo

Edits are much better. Whatever the layout it ultimately boils down to balance.

Joe, like our birds, a great orchid shot needs a co-operative plant. Mike is very lucky to get the flowers all in one row.

Thanks, Steve! I see now where you are going. I think with continued practice I can eventually get it.

Just one more to go

Quote Originally Posted by JPS View Post
    members working together for the good of us all.
    No doubt about it! We should never take it for granted. Thanks again to everyone!

Real Name
    Call me as Ross

I was in amazing sense is how can you have beautiful background like that. It is very nice Shot. Thank for sharing.
    Ross

The background is the easiest part, Ross. It's very high quality black felt.

Real Name
    Dan

My suggestions have already been addressed. The last version posted is a great improvement IMO. The black BG is awesome. Well done.

Real Name
    Grahame

Mike,

Now that's evolved to a 'stunner'. You have managed to get the texture in the petals without them looking too hard and retain some pop ! Not easy with orchids.

Thanks for the nod, Dan and Grahame. Steve and the others helped make it happen.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 7th January 2013 at 12:02 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast