Thread: Shot of the day

Real Name
    Steve

Shot of the day

Don't get many with a pretty blue sky for a background.....................

Shot of the day

Real Name
    John

Re: Shot of the day

Hi Steve,
    Another good shot, nicely executed.
    May I ask where in the world you are; just interested as you are getting some great shots of these deer.

Cheers
    John

Real Name
    Paul

Nicely done, Steve.

Real Name
    Bobo

Beautiful as usual.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by JPS View Post
    Hi Steve,
    Another good shot, nicely executed.
    May I ask where in the world you are; just interested as you are getting some great shots of these deer.

Cheers
    John

Thanks john, i'm from west virginia. I take these shots in a local park, lots of deers and opportunity.

Real Name
    Steve

Paul, bobo, ............thank you.

Real Name
    Andrew

You could try to wait until the animals leg is straight just before it touches the ground. Sometimes these can look like the animal was injured. I recently took some action pics of a male lion in Tanzania and the difference between the leg position made the shot.

Real Name
    Ian

Nice shot....a small crit, I might have cloned out the branches on the lower right hand side, but other than that, the colours and detail are splendid.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

You have a wonderful series of photos of deer. Well done, as always!

Real Name
    Terri

I agree with you. That perspective with the nice blue sky is really nice. The colors in these winter photos you are doing are so crisp and clean - not sure how else to describe. But I'm loving them.

Real Name
    james

Oh yea! splendid I will look for a sky background myself.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by andrewaxford View Post
    You could try to wait until the animals leg is straight just before it touches the ground. Sometimes these can look like the animal was injured. I recently took some action pics of a male lion in Tanzania and the difference between the leg position made the shot.

The position of the leg is intentional, to show movement . Also the bottom of the hoof adds some interest. It doesn't even remotely look like an injured deer to me.

I do agree that sometimes a leg position can take away from an image, but you shouldn't 'always' shoot just straight leged animals. If you did, you would miss shots like this.......................................

Shot of the day

Shot of the day

Shot of the day

Shot of the day

A straight leg shot to avoid...............looks like a 3 leg deer.................Shot of the day

Real Name
    pinaki

All nice picture Steve!Great job!

Real Name
    Tommy

They're all class Steve, as usual. But that first one for me is absolutely stunning. One of my favourites of all your shots. The colours are sublime and your management of the exposure is perfect.

Great stuff and thanks for sharing

Real Name
    Andrew

It doesn't even remotely look like an injured deer to me.

"I do agree that sometimes a leg position can take away from an image, but you shouldn't 'always' shoot just straight leged animals. If you did, you would miss shots like this......................................."

OOps sorry Steve didnt mean to offend, i love the picture and the others too! I particularly like the fourth shot with the young fawn. The point i was trying to convey (not very well )was that when walking or trotting the leading leg stretches out to cover the ground and this can give the image ,maybe more elegance ?. It certainly does with horses. I was not saying that all shots should be taken in the same way. When a deer is galloping as in pics one and two only one foot is ever in contact with the ground and i think your first galloping shot has the perfect balance of the movement. The fourth shot that i like the most shows the deer in a canter where one pair of diagonal legs touch simultaniously and the other two follow separately. I think that shot shows perfect balance but half a second later it would have been balancing on just its front left leg. My intention was not to critisise a great shot. Cheers.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by andrewaxford View Post
    It doesn't even remotely look like an injured deer to me.

"I do agree that sometimes a leg position can take away from an image, but you shouldn't 'always' shoot just straight leged animals. If you did, you would miss shots like this......................................."

OOps sorry Steve didnt mean to offend, i love the picture and the others too! I particularly like the fourth shot with the young fawn. The point i was trying to convey (not very well )was that when walking or trotting the leading leg stretches out to cover the ground and this can give the image ,maybe more elegance ?. It certainly does with horses. I was not saying that all shots should be taken in the same way. When a deer is galloping as in pics one and two only one foot is ever in contact with the ground and i think your first galloping shot has the perfect balance of the movement. The fourth shot that i like the most shows the deer in a canter where one pair of diagonal legs touch simultaniously and the other two follow separately. I think that shot shows perfect balance but half a second later it would have been balancing on just its front left leg. My intention was not to critisise a great shot. Cheers.

No offence taken , andrew.

There are alot of people that view our work and read our statements. I just didn't want anyone to get the wrong idea.

My position has always been............There are only general guidelines in photography, no rules. The second we allow ourselves to start following rules, we will have lost our creativity. Photography without creativity, is the same boring shot over and over.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Wow! Those shots are outstanding, Steve.