Thread: "Micky"

Real Name
    Sam

"Micky"

This is my brother's dog ..."Micky" i am just rying this out to see if it works ok ? Any comments are welcome i'm new and just seeing how things work.

"Micky"

Real Name
    Miltos

Re: "Micky"

The green grass - blue eyes contrast works very well for me Sam.

I like it.

Real Name
    Jon

Nicely done. Great looking dog.

Real Name
    John

Hi Sam,
    what a lovely dog. I would like to see more pictures if you have any.

With regards to C&C, I think the left side of his face (as we look at the picture) is a little 'blown' the white area has lost it's detail. I don't think you will be able to recover this but it can be toned down a bit. I've adjused it in PP to show what I mean.
    I'm sure other more experienced members will be able to give you more advice.
    As per normal if you are not happy with me adjusting your work just say and I will remove it.
    Hope this helps.
    Kind regards
    John

Original
    "Micky"

Adjusted
    "Micky"

Real Name
    Dan

I like the tight shot. John's rework is an improvement IMO.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Though I agree with John's improvements, your original shows a remarkable amount of creativity and talent, especially for someone who is new at this stuff. The interesting light in the background and the unusual composition are examples of that. The other stuff John attended to can easily be taught and learned. That's not always so with the creative aspect of making photos.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 6th January 2013 at 07:31 PM.

Real Name
    Sam

Thankyou everyone for your comments and thankyou John for your adjustments to the image .....i think it's superb.....it's shows more detail amd looks more real to me.

I am far from a good photographer, i just like having a go and learning as much as i can from the more experienced photographers. I think you can always argue about this or that in terms of images and how they turn out. But in the end it's a matter of taste and the individual.

One thing i feel i have struggled with is detail and focus and bringing it out. This photo i felt was one of my best and seeing the way John has brought it out even more has shown me that i can improve more not just with my camera but also my processing.......thanks again John i'm really impressed with your efforts and very grateful.

Sam

Real Name
    Richard

Often when shooting dogs with a white coat, I get a colored reflection on the dogs coat. This is usually most evident below the dog's muzzle. I will often use a -10 or -15 saturation in my camera Raw edit and then also use the dodge tool over the area impacted by the colored reflection. This will usually solve the problem...