Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Millenium Trees

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

Millenium Trees

These are olive trees, between 500 and 1000 years old. They were transplanted from their original location in the Sierra de Maestrazgo to the grounds of the company I work for near Madrid. Their branches have been cut and over the years new growth has occurred, so they look quite strange, with huge, knarled trunks and small branches with little vegetation.

I hadn't used my fixed 50mm f/1.4 lens for a long time, so I took it with me and re-learned what it's like to use large apertures; I had lost the feel for depth of field with apertures of f/1.4 or f/2.8.

#1 Dated 1031. This photo was taken with a f/1.4 aperture and the colour version shows a lack of sharp focus in much of the tree. However, the B&W version doesn't, which is curious. It also looks more interesting in B&W.
    Millenium Trees

#2 Dated 1645. Looks like a person got caught in this trunk; can you see the poor soul?
    Millenium Trees

#3. It was dusk and the light created a nice warm effect. The tight frame was to avoid other objects in the background.
    Millenium Trees

#4. I don't recall why I used f/4.5 here; I must have wanted more the of trees in the background to be less out-of-focus.
    Millenium Trees

#5. Emphasisng the foreground tree more.
    Millenium Trees

Tony

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Millenium Trees

Very intersting. I had no idea olive trees were so long lived. I like #1 and 4.

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

I've done more PP on #1 and #2, increasing clarity on the tree and adding vignette. I haven't done much B&W so comments welcome.

Millenium Trees

Millenium Trees

Tony
    Last edited by Tony M; 5th January 2013 at 05:48 PM.

Real Name
    Dave

Hi Tony,

Love #1, the B&W, contrast and composition make a great picture. I hope you don't mind me saying, but I do prefer the original to your reworked version.

Dave

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

Thanks for the comment Dave, and I don't mind at all. Why do you prefer the first version? I think I like the trunk of the reworked version, as it shows more texture. I might try just applying that adjustment to the original.

Tony

Real Name
    Bobo

Fantastic looking trees. I never knew much about olive trees until now. Thanks for sharing.

I am sure that these trees are going to give you endless opportunities for very fine shots.

Real Name
    Dave

I think that is why. The very strong texture of the trunk rather neutralises the rest of the composition. I think I would crop quite a lot from the right, and a little from both the left and the top. I haven't tried it, mind, and it is only my aesthetics.

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

Hi Dave,

Perhaps this is what you had in mind.

Millenium Trees

It's a different image to what I was after, and it is interesting. I wanted to show the background area to the right, under the tree, and I wanted a stark, grainy trunk. It just goes to show the variety of different forms that can be seen in the same picture.

Thanks for taking the time to give me your thoughts.

Tony

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Fantastic looking trees. I never knew much about olive trees until now. Thanks for sharing.

I am sure that these trees are going to give you endless opportunities for very fine shots.

Thanks Bobo. I only had a short time before dusk on Friday to photograph them, and I'll give myself more time before dusk the next time.

Tony