Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Crowned crane - any thoughts?

Real Name
    Dave

Crowned crane - any thoughts?

Birds seem to the thing right now. Any thoughts on this crowned crane from Africa? How about the tight crop?

Real Name
    Joe

Re: Crowned crane - any thoughts?

Nice detail and color in your image of beautiful bird. The closest we have here is a Sand Hill Crane, not nearly as exotic looking. Regarding the close crop I would go even tighter showing just the head and crest. I had a go at it, if I overstepped I will remove it. Getting close to your trip to Florida, let me know if you have time... maybe we could hook up.

Real Name
    Frank

great shot with great detail ... I personally would crop from the head down right and lift the black tones a little ....

Real Name
    james

Dave I like the full bird pic best ,but the birds detail is more important (to me that is) than space. That said I put a crop that I think shows off the detail more. Like Joe said If I overstepped I will happily remove. Thanks for sharing such a magnificent bird.

Real Name
    Yegor

I have a photo of such bird. But did not know the name. I know now! I was with daughter on an exhibition, very beautiful birds! Unfortunately a battery lasted 4 one shot only. You have beautiful photos! Successful crop as for me!

Real Name
    Dan

That is one cool looking bird. If you have a similar opportunity in the future you may consider dropping to one knee or squatting down and isolating the bird's head/neck against that dark shadow BG. If you so so you need to either use spot metering or if matrix then under expose a stop or so to account for the dark BG.

Real Name
    Dave

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I never have a problem with alternative images being posted in the thread - I do like to see what can be done

Regarding the close crop I would go even tighter showing just the head and crest
    Thanks, Joe. Yes, I do like the head and crest shot - and the rotation to get the neck vertical. I'll pm you re our coming
    trip

I like the full bird pic best
    Thanks, James. Yes, I think that is a better crop. And I'd carefully set the eye on the "thirds" lines

But did not know the name
    Hi Yegor - it's also the national bird of Uganda, and appears on that country's flag

you may consider dropping to one knee or squatting down
    I was in the back of a Landcruiser and there were lions about. 'Twould not have been wise

Real Name
    Paul

What an interesting bird, thanks for sharing it with us. Yoy have captured him well. I also like the crop as his feet were missing anyway, although I am glad you posted the entire image because I enjoyed seeing the full body as I don't think I have seen one where I could study the detail as well as this.

Real Name
    Bobo

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    Birds seem to the thing right now.
    MOST CERTAINLY NOT.......

But that is just me, glad that you and the others still can get them.

Nice shots as well as the edits.

Keep 'em coming. That is one incredible looking crane.