Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Finding the beauty

Real Name
    Terri

Finding the beauty

Paul's post on Weeds reminded me that I had some standing dried plants in the north field. Although mine are not quite as stunning, I was pretty happy with this round.

I was concentrating on getting a good DOF, while being mindful of the background. I walked around the plant trying to set up for the best light. In #3 I placed some green cedar boughs behind the composition to break up the beige background.

Finding the beauty

Finding the beauty

Finding the beauty

Finding the beauty

Real Name
    Jon

Re: Finding the beauty

Terri, if it is good DoF...you nailed it! I especially like the first two, but they are all very good IMO.

Real Name
    Paul

I think you have done a fantastic bit of work here, Terri. I really like #2 and #4 although for could use a bit more DOF, just a touch in the front part of the flower.. Happy to have inspired you to go have a play. Well done.

Real Name
    Matthew

Excellent work. I find 1,2,and 4 to be the strongest. I'd be interested to see 1 and 4 in black and white.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Excellent stuff, Terri! Is #1 monochromatic naturally or did you convert to black-and-white and tint it? You controlled the whites exceptionally well in the last one, not easy to do especially knowing that you're rather new at serious post-processing.

Real Name
    Joe

Nice images Terri, I particularly like #1, I think the three work better than two. In compositions of the birds I shoot I always like groupings of three better than two. Also I like the monochrome background better than when the Cedar branches were added to break it up.

Real Name
    Terri

Thanks, Jon for the compliments!

Thanks, Paul. I think I see what you are talking about on #4. I may try it again, although the next time I go up north it will be with a hunting blind to try to get photos of the flighty birds.

Matt, B&W as requested. Thanks! I actually kinda like #4 in B&W.

Mike, that was the natural color of plant and background. I was shooting down so the background was dried tall grasses that were covering the ground. Thanks for noting the work on #4. I did do quite a bit to get some contrast in the middle.

Thanks Joe. I agree on the 3. As a matter of fact, I was explaining that to my husband as he was helping me look for suitable subjects. I did crop #2 just to get closer detail. Tried just using one "flower" but it didn't seem to work as well as the 2. I've also included the pic of #3 before the cedar branches just for you.

Finding the beauty

Finding the beauty

Finding the beauty

Real Name
    Dan

Good technique, Terri. Particularly on 2 and 4 you did a great job of isolating the subject and focusing attention on the intricate detail which is, after all, what is interesting about the subject. Agree the DOF was just slightly shallow on no.4 but only another photog would notice. I'm not big on B/W but it does have it's place and it works on this.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by terrib View Post
    i actually kinda like #4 in b&w.
    Can't be. Somebody is using Terri's computer and posting messages here.

Real Name
    John

Hi Terri,
    these are some very nice shots.
    What I have seen with your posts since you joined CiC is continued improvement, your pictures have grown in quality with each post. Every post you make is really showing your skill as a photographer and different styles you feel confident to shoot and place on the forum is fantastic.
    A big well done from me.

Real Name
    Terri

Thanks, Dan for your comments. It's the first time I've used Live View for magnified focusing and I think that helped. I'm not all that big on B&W either - thus Mike's comment following yours.

Mike, if it hadn't been early morning, I'd claim I'd had one too many glasses of wine. But guess I'll have to own up to it!

Real Name
    Terri

Quote Originally Posted by JPS View Post
    Hi Terri,
    these are some very nice shots.
    What I have seen with your posts since you joined CiC is continued improvement, your pictures have grown in quality with each post. Every post you make is really showing your skill as a photographer and different styles you feel confident to shoot and place on the forum is fantastic.
    A big well done from me.
    John, your words really made my day. Thank you SO much! I really appreciate all the encouragement.

Real Name
    Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by terrib View Post
    Matt, B&W as requested. Thanks! I actually kinda like #4 in B&W.
    Wow, thanks for doing these in B&W. Nicely done, they look great, and I'm glad you liked it in B&W as well. If you don't mind me saying: On #4 I might suggest doing a little selective NR or blurring on the bg, then bring up the exposure on the midtones and highlights a tad. Punch up the contrast and sharpening a bit to really make the flower head texture pop out more. Great work (I still love the first one a lot too)

Real Name
    Bobo

Well done shots too. I like 2 and 3 best primarily because of the better subject to background separation.