Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Flehmen mad

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Flehmen mad

This fellow is completely preoccupied by the enticing scent of three does; and p/o'd about another buck who is guarding them. He was about 20 metres from the truck and completely oblivious to me. His facial expression is called flehmen; he is using a sensory organ in the front of his mouth to detect the pheromones of a doe in heat.

The prior posting from me is an attempt to get the fight between the two bucks. However once the does and other buck saw me on foot everyone took off into the aspens. Man in truck; no problem. Man on foot pointing object; big problem

Flehmen mad

Real Name
    Zen

Re: Flehmen mad

What a great and rare shot, Trevor. Good for you!

Zen

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Beautiful posture in the elk! Does your original allow more space to the left and top to allow the antlers more room in the frame? They seem rather cramped for space in this version.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Zen;
    If only the deer had cooperated and stayed on the other side of the road where the sun was shining onto them and not behind them. Darn.

This deer and the other buck were so focused on the does and the competition that I almost ran them over as they crossed. Despite the light I just had to try for some shots. Craftily; the larger buck pushed the does into a clump of willows so neither I or this fellow could get a clear shot at them. The does quickly lost interest in the testosterone inflamed snorting, spitting and head tossing contest and wandered into the field.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Beautiful posture in the elk! Does your original allow more space to the left and top to allow the antlers more room in the frame? They seem rather cramped for space in this version.
    Original uncropped. I wanted to get the flehmen more emphasized; hence the crop.

Flehmen mad

Real Name
    Zen

Trevor,

We've got a half dozen that feed in our back yard nearly every evening, now especially after the recent 12" snow. One, a 3 year old buck, has discovered that he can nudge the bird feeder just enough to dislodge a stream of millet, et. al. right into his hungry mouth, so that I fill the feeder every day just to keep his nibs happy. The feeder is 5' from the picture window, and I can usually get a clear shot - except for the double pane thermal glass. I must set up outside one of these days . . .

Your shots are great, though, and I love seeing them.

Zen

Real Name
    John

Hi Trevor,
    I'm torn between the crop and the original,I can see benefits in both.

Therefore I'll just say it's a nice image thanks for sharing.

John