Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JanuWednesfest - gregj1763

Real Name
    Greg

JanuWednesfest - gregj1763

I'm a day late, but it's still Wednesday somewhere in the world at the moment so I guess I still made it

I'm going to use my Sony A99 and f/1.8 50mm lens for this project.
    What I'm hoping to achieve is to use the lens differently each week as opposed to what I bought it for, as a portrait lens.
    I'm going to try to only photograph at home and try to capture images of objects in a different or unusual way.

Each of these photo's have their own highlights to me and I would be interested to hear what others think.
    In all of them I like the structure and uniformity of the drill bit opposed by the randomness of the shavings but I can't pick a favourite.
    Maybe #2 ?

Cheers, Greg

Real Name
    Jon

Re: JanuWednesfest - gregj1763

Greg, nicely done. I think #2 for me. I like the angle just works for me. I think I would like #1 better if the drill bit was not laying flat on the wood, maybe vertical to the wood.

From the looks of the burnt shavings, I think you need to sharpen your bit

Real Name
    Greg

Thanks Jon,
    Your right the bit is as blunt as a brick. I was looking around for some solid metal before I used the timber hoping to get some nice blunt drill bit smoke going
    I will try your suggestion with the first image.
    Cheers, Greg

Real Name
    Bobo

So cool. Great out of box example. We go around snapping interesting things but there is just as much going on around us.

I also like #2.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Your two primary goals are very admirable. Great thinking!

I think the reason #2 works best for me is that the tabletop edge provides a 3-dimensional look. I would like all of them better if all parts of the hole were in focus. If your camera has Live View and if you were using a tripod, you could have easily ensured that that was happening, though I understand that you may have intentionally made part of the hole out of focus.

Real Name
    Greg

Thanks Jon, Bobo and Mike.
    I am encouraged that you all thought my photo's and idea showed merit.
    I wasn't real sure how to go about this project.
    Mike, I do have live view, and the camera was on a tripod but I found it really difficult to get everything in focus at f/2ish.
    My intent was to try to use the 50mm like a macro lens and I intended focus on the drill bit and the shavings as the most important aspects of the shot.
    Perhaps a larger f stop and a bit of tilt shift in PP would get me a better result.
    Cheers, Greg

Real Name
    Andrew

#2 does it for me too! Great idea! Something like that may even work in your quest for stock photography, something to think about anyways!

Nice start to the project!

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew76 View Post
    #2 does it for me too! Great idea! Something like that may even work in your quest for stock photography
    Thanks Andrew, Glad you liked it.
    Think it needs a little more work before I would submit it for stock photo's but I'm glad you think it has potential.
    Cheers, Greg

Real Name
    Greg

This seemed like a good idea at the time but boy! was it hard to get the lighting right.
    Because of the high gloss finish on the objects, reflection was a problem and as you can see in the photo below my daughter took, my studio (LOL) is not what you would call ideal.
    Anyway, through a lot of trial and mostly error I finished with an image I am reasonable pleased with.
    The shakers are sitting on and in front of my grey, black and white card as I wanted to have neutral surfaces around them.
    I first just had a white background but the white pepper shaker always came out looking like it had ghosting on the edges which was just reflection but looked terrible.
    When I used the black card behind it I was able to get a better result.
    The lighting I finished with was natural daylight through the shed door, reflected off a piece of silver construction insulation then diffused through the screen I'm holding in the bottom image.

My awesome studio
    Ps. It might look a mess but I know where everything is.
    Pps I suppose I could also post this shot in Brian's "Where do you live thread"

Real Name
    Bobo

Great job there to mute the blinkes and kill the shadows.

The studio looks just like the one I would want.

Btw that is one huge diffuser. Is there a story there?

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Wow! Glad to know that I'm not the only person with a makeshift studio, as opposed to a real studio.

I can commiserate with you that a seemingly simple shot becomes unexpectedly difficult if you haven't planned in advance how to deal with the reflections from the shiny surfaces. You certainly dealt with that difficulty very well.

I have recently learned the value of having a variety of tabletop and background surfaces. I think white felt (which I have not yet acquired) would have worked as a background that would not have reflected the white shaker.

It's so interesting that your pepper shaker is white and your salt shaker is black.

Real Name
    Jon

I am envious of your studio...

I guess I had better come up with something this evening?

Real Name
    Greg

Week three and I'm still in the shed/studio.
    Honestly I'm not sure about this one, I tried to get a photo to look like one of those whiskey adverts.
    I had lighting from the side and front to highlight the label.I even wasted a little Devils cut so I could get the reflection, (sorry Jon).
    Anyway interested in your comments, I know I can do better but need a bit of guidance.
    Ps, probably should have had ice in the glass but didn't have any. I drink whiskey straight

Cheers, Greg

Real Name
    Bobo

Very nice and sharp shot Greg.

I am seeing the bottle tilting to the right and the glass to the left. The rightmost edge of the bottle does appear to be straight. Optical illusion?

Real Name
    Greg

Bobo. Have you been licking the screen again
    Seriously I see it as well but all was level as far as I know.
    You can see the bottles not open so I hadn't sampled the product.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Hi Greg, just had a quick peek to see what you were up to. The first shot (B&W of drill bit) and your last one are my favourites. I like the brighter labels on the whisky and the overall warm tones. Well done - I suppose by next Wednesday you will be showing us a photo of a ship in an empty bottle.

P.S. It looks reasonably level to me.

Real Name
    J stands for John

I would suggest that the first drill photo is approaching things, in the other two there is complete disconnect between the hole and the bit. Though I agree a different angle for the drill bit would be more interesting. It is the old story of two things and you don't know which to look at ... Odds is good, evens is not. The whisky might be said to also fall into the same trap though the different sizes might save it.

I wondered at first why you were holding a surf board in your studio until I looked closer

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    Hi Greg, just had a quick peek to see what you were up to. The first shot (B&W of drill bit) and your last one are my favourites. I like the brighter labels on the whisky and the overall warm tones. Well done - I suppose by next Wednesday you will be showing us a photo of a ship in an empty bottle.

P.S. It looks reasonably level to me.
    Thanks for taking the time to look at my photo's L.Paul. Appreciate your comments.
    Good idea, ship in a bottle. Just need to work out how to get one in there..
    Cheers,Greg

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by jcuknz View Post
    I would suggest that the first drill photo is approaching things, in the other two there is complete disconnect between the hole and the bit. Though I agree a different angle for the drill bit would be more interesting. It is the old story of two things and you don't know which to look at ... Odds is good, evens is not. The whisky might be said to also fall into the same trap though the different sizes might save it.
    I wondered at first why you were holding a surf board in your studio until I looked closer

Thanks for your comments, jcuknz,
    Looking back at my drill photo's, I can see what you mean about the disconnection between objects and agree that the first image is probably the better of them.
    Regarding the surfboard. You're just looking at an image of a guy trying to be a photographer.
    Still have my L plates on but learning lots from my peers here at CiC.
    Cheers all, Greg

Real Name
    Jon

Mmmmm...Tullamore Dew!! Nice crisp shot Greg. Are you defusing the light sources or reflecting? The label has a bright spot about dead center, I would try for more even light(not that I know how to do that). I think that with a little bit of playing with light source and placement you will nail this one. I really like how you got the reflection, except for the fact that you used a little Devil for it. I hope you licked the table top to save it???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast