Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Walking around Cordoba (Spain)

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

Walking around Cordoba (Spain)

Walking around Córdoba (Spain)

I find it hard to make the time to be a "real" member of this wonderful community of photographers, and participate in discussions on photos that people submit. I feel a bit selfish because I tend to visit when I want to post photos, and I sometimes browse the forums, reading others' posts, but I don't often make comments. I hope to change that.

After I submit these photos for your comments.

I was in Córdoba, in the south of Spain, for Christmas with family, as it is my wife's home town. It's a beautiful city and many thousands of photos have no doubt been taken of all of its monuments and charming homes and patios. I have only been active in photography for the last year, so I have not taken many photos of it until this last visit. Below are some photos that are typical of those taken by any visitor or postcard producer, and I hope there are one or two that are not. There are more on my web page, whose link is at the bottom of this post, for anyone interested in seeing more. But it would be nice to get some C&C on these ones below - and that includes from those like me who also feel it's time to step up a bit more at C in C.

1. La Mezquita (The Mosque) before dusk

2. The same, but after dusk, and from a slightly different viewpoint.

3. Simple primary colours create an impression

4. I saw these men here a few months earlier, but didn't feel brave enough to photograph them. Not this time...

5. Old next to new

6. Not sure what the window is for.

Regards,

Tony
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 1st January 2013 at 10:44 PM.

Real Name
    Dave

re: Walking around Cordoba (Spain)

Blimey, Tony, that is a cracking set. Where to start? I suppose that #1 and #2 are the tourist shots, but the play of light in the first is beautiful, and for me the composition is great. I also love #4 with the men in it a superbly observed scene. The other images are less to my taste, but otheres may disagree. I hope you find the time and inspiration to keep posting.

And a happy new year!

Dave

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

re: Walking around Cordoba (Spain)

An interesting set of shots Tony, nicely done. It's #1 to #4 for me. Good light in #1, maybe the window box in #3 could be positioned dead center ?

Dave

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

Re: Walking around Cordoba (Spain)

Thanks Dave and Dave for the comments. (Your post stats do you proud! )

Yes, #3 was begging to be cropped, and here it is (as if you needed to see it!)

I hope to visit Córdoba again in May, when there is the "Patio Competition", where people open up their patios to the public to view their gardens and flower displays. A good time to visit, if you're thinking of holidaying in Spain around that time of year.

Tony

Real Name
    Kevin

HI, Tony

A most excellent set of images. You have learned a great deal in only a year it would seem, and clearly have a photographer's eye. I enjoyed the artistry of #3, 5 and 6 every bit as much as your more classic shots. I look forward to more of your images

Kevin

Real Name
    Zen

Hi Tony,

Theses are great! Congrats on the set.

Just for fun, I'd like to see #4 as a contrasty B&W. Seems to me it would make a terrific contemplative scene.

Happy New Year.

Zen

Real Name
    Terri

I guess I'm a tourist because I like the first 2 shots best. They are all good photography but I'm just not that drawn to architecture and street/people photos. So that's ok. I really like #2. Even though the bridge tends to move my eye out of the shot, the lights and colors above really draw me in. It's a really beautiful scene which I think you've exposed very well!

Real Name
    Dan

Looks like a beautiful city. The window on the roof is very odd??? Excellent photography both composition and technical aspects.

Interestingly, there is a small town here in Alaska named after Cordoba. The town was founded by a wealthy industrialist whose favorite place was Cordoba, Spain. So when he built his own town that's what he named it. But the English spelling, Cordova. I think it may be a bit cooler and more rain than your Cordoba

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by zen View Post
    Just for fun, I'd like to see #4 as a contrasty B&W. Seems to me it would make a terrific contemplative scene.
    Thanks Zen. A B&W version could be interesting; I'll try it this evening.

Tony

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

Thanks Terri for the comment. I like #2 as well, even though it is a postcard picture!

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    Interestingly, there is a small town here in Alaska named after Cordoba. The town was founded by a wealthy industrialist whose favorite place was Cordoba, Spain. So when he built his own town that's what he named it. But the English spelling, Cordova. I think it may be a bit cooler and more rain than your Cordoba
    That's really interesting; my wife will be impressed that a town in Alaska was named after her own town; but I'm sure she won't ever visit it, as the temperatures are probably well outside her comfort zone.

In old Spanish texts, the Spanish town's spelling is also "Cordova". The "v" is pronounced as a "b" in Spanish, so I guess that at some point the spelling changed to a "b". Cordova is also a Spanish surname, whose spelling didn't change.

Tony

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

Here's a B&W version of #4, which Zen suggested I try. I haven't converted many pictures to B&W, and I find it difficult to decide how I like it to look. This one is Lightroom's B&W Contrast High preset. I tried increasing the Orange filter a bit, which increased overall brightness, but it reduced contrast in the radial lines of the arch above the door. I also tried reducing the Yellow filter, which darkened the image, but it darkened the moss on the front of the steps too much for my liking, so in the end decided to stick with the preset.

Any suggestions welcome, or upload your own versions.

Tony