Thread: Colorful end to the year

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Colorful end to the year

These are my last photos of the year. I captured them on December 31 and post-processed them immediately after celebrating the onset of the New Year.

People in the Washington DC area might want to know that the photos are made from a brand new installation of holiday lights at Meadowlark Botanical Gardens in Vienna, Virginia. Tripods are allowed.

C&C encouraged, though I don't have any questions to ask.

Happy New Year, everyone!

Photo #1
    Colorful end to the year

Photo #2
    Colorful end to the year

Photo #3
    Colorful end to the year

Photo #4
    Colorful end to the year

Photo #5
    Colorful end to the year
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 1st January 2013 at 06:28 PM.

Real Name
    Connie Keyes

Re: Colorful end to the year

The lights are beautiful, think I like number 1 the best. It is good to see that someone was productively engaged and thinking of beauty since our politicians weren't. Guess will have to plan another trip to DC to pick up some of the additions and changes since I was there last.

Real Name
    Terri

What a pretty place to spend New Year's Eve. Nice job, Mike. Thanks for sharing with us. Happy New Year to you and your wife!

Real Name
    Joe

Beautiful... Happy New Year Mike.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Nice Mike,

Easy to over expose something like this, but of course, you haven't.

I can't decide which I like best, Connie has a point with #1, nice'n'simple, but I studied #2 and #3 for a while to 'get my bearings'.

Cheers,

Thanks, everyone!

I like the first one best for several reasons. It works as a stand-alone modern sculpture that is both elegant and sophisticated. The lighting system within the piece produces brighter light, graduated tones, and reflected light, all of which are very appealing.

Dave, you mentioned studying #2 and #3 to get your bearings. You probably noticed that the sculpture in #1 is also pictured in #3 though not displaying the same colors.

I plan to make our 2013 holiday card as a montage of Christmas trees. The tree shown in the last photo was displayed in many different lighting schemes, so I plan to combine trees in various sizes and colors into one image. That's actually the reason I returned to the park just to photograph it once I realized there would be no wind moving the light bulbs.

By the way, after I returned home and cooked dinner, my wife and I celebrated New Year's Eve by reviewing our favorite photos made in 2012. Now that we have done that two years in a row, we call it a tradition.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 1st January 2013 at 04:34 PM.

Real Name
    Steve

Nicely done , mike. I like the second and last one best.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    By the way, after I returned home and cooked dinner, my wife and I celebrated New Year's Eve by reviewing our favorite photos made in 2012. Now that we have done that two years in a row, we call it a tradition.
    Reviewing with glass (Spanish variety) in hand, I hope. Great photos and Happy New Year to you and the boss.

Thanks, Steve!

Brian, thank you for referring to my wife and me in the accurate hierarchy. Considering that Argentina is the fourth largest Spanish-speaking country in the world, is it at least minimally acceptable that we were drinking Malbec from Mendoza?