Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Skykomish River Reflection

Real Name
    Jon

Skykomish River Reflection

Another Dynamic Range challenge. I was actually shooting upstream at Mt. Index, gave up and packed my gear up and started heading back out when stumbled ( literally) upon this eddy in the river. I set the camera as low as I could, to get as much Bridge in without touching the rock in the middle. Critiques welcomed

Happy New Year

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Skykomish River Reflection

Such a gorgeous scene, Jon. Well spotted!

A few suggestions that you might want to consider for this extremely worthwhile image...

At a glance, I felt the image is over exposed. The histogram confirms it. It's definitely within a range that you can adjust.

Try cropping to eliminate the foreground rocks. Crop also at the right side just at the edge of the far right rock in the middle of the water.

Notice that the reflection is much lighter than the sources being reflected. Reflections in real life and in photos usually (not always) have the same luminence.

Real Name
    Richard

I agree with Mike. both regarding the exposure and cropping!

There is great steelhead fishing on the Skykomish. In fact, there is a steelhead fly, "Skykomish Sunrise" that is named for the river. I thought that I had an image of it in my fishing fly image collection but, I don't. I think that I have a couple of those flies in my steelhead fly kit out in my RV garage. I will look tomorrow and shoot an image of it. I really want to shoot images of my whole collection of flies...

Unfortunately no steelhead fishing here in Southern California...

Real Name
    Jon

Mike Thanks for your suggestions. I remember setting up purposefully to include the rocks in the foreground without thinking that the reflection made up the foreground. Much better cropped. I tried to fiddle with the curves just enough to back off the blow out in the cloud, but curves are still a bit alien to me. I burned the reflection a bit in Aperture 3 to get the luminosities closer.

Mike, there was actually a pretty beat up Steelhead just off to my right that kind of showed up in other pics. Lots of Fly Fishers down stream of where I was at. This area is actually my old kayaking grounds, but now just an excuse to go take Pics.