Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: One Year for Our GSP, Grace

Real Name
    Dan

One Year for Our GSP, Grace

January 1 last year I flew from Alaska to Houston,TX to bring home our GSP pup, Grace. She flew the first day she could legally do so at 8 weeks old. So tomorrow isn't her one year birthday but it is one year that she's been with us.

Poor Grace must have been wondering what had happened coming from sunny Texas to five hours of daylight and sub-zero(F) temperatures her first few days in Alaska.

Here she was while we were killing time waiting for flight time to head to Alaska.

And a couple of weeks after arriving in Anchorage. Though she was a tough little trooper we provided her with synthetic fur and booties to help her out.

Five months old, warming up in early April.

And a few days ago looking like a serious young shorthair.

Real Name
    John

Re: One Year for Our GSP, Grace

Hi Dan,
    what a great set of pictures and I like the background story that goes with them.

My favourite is No.3.
    Well done.
    John

Real Name
    Griddi

Ooooh....... I just love these photos !

What are beautiful dog you have, as it must be cold now too, give her a warm kiss from me......

Griddi......

Real Name
    Paul

What a beautiful dog, such a great color pattern. Nicely captured as well.

What a nice series of pictures.. such a cute pup and has turned into a real beauty.... I love #3 but her eyes in 4 are so pretty..... thanks for sharing your pup.

Real Name
    Terri

Thanks for sharing Grace's story and her pictures. I also like #3 the best. She is a beautiful dog!

Real Name
    Dan

Thanks for all the comments, folks. The dogs get their pictures taken a lot in the wintertime. My prefered subject matter is wildlife so they provide good practice in the off season.

But she does get shot once in a while in warmer weather too.

Real Name
    Richard

Absolutely beautiful GSP and great images of that lovely dog! I like all the pictures but, #3 and the last one blow me away!

How did Grace like snow the first time she saw it?

I thought that I was the only one who flew to pick up a dog. I flew from California to Dallas, Texas and back about five years ago to pick up my Goldendoodle, Holly... I love her so much that I wish she was only one year old!

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    ...How did Grace like snow the first time she saw it?

I thought that I was the only one who flew to pick up a dog. I flew from California to Dallas, Texas and back about five years ago to pick up my Goldendoodle, Holly... I love her so much that I wish she was only one year old!
    She never really had a problem with the snow. The first week she was here we had a blizzard with winds upwards of 100mph. Blew so hard it knocked her off her feet when I took her out to do her business. She took it all in stride.

It's amazing how attached we get to the critters. We got Grace after having had a pair of GSP sibling females for nearly 16 years. I still think about them and nearly choke up. We also took on a two year old rescue that is a registered GSP. We've had her a few months and she is doing pretty good. She came up from Idaho. When you live in Alaska you get used to traveling for all sorts of things.

Real Name
    Terry

Hey Dan!

Please give Miss Grace a big Happy B-Day from me! She is a beautiful pup.

And what is more, you have posted just a totally awesome set of shots of her. Your third from the first set and your last one are just gorgeous. But I also really like the head shot of her being a "serious shorthair"!

I'll have to put in with you Dan. I can't believe how attached we can become. Though I'm not sure why I would be surprised because these animals only want to love us unconditionally. Well, that and have a romp or two in the snow from time to time! I tear up at the television commercials I see that the ASPCA airs regarding abuse.

That, sir, is just a damn shame. And then you make my Heart Soar with your photos of Miss Grace!

Well done, Dan. Thanks man.