Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: New Years Resolution - Custom Functions

Real Name
    Richard

New Years Resolution - Custom Functions

I have made a resolution that I am going to learn and understand all of the custom functions on my 7D. I do not use many of these functions and have not paid due diligence to them and there is at least one which I don't really understand at all...

I am confused about the 7D Custom Function III-02 (AI Servo 1st/2nd image priority)

It has to do with "how autofocus prioritizes Focus/Shutter release in continuous shooting". It allows the photographer to specify what takes precedence when the shutter release button is pressed all the way down.

The choices are:
    0: AF Priority/Tracking Priority
    1: AF priority/Drive Speed Priority
    2. Release/Drive Speed Priority
    3. Release Tracking Priority

I don't understand what happens in choices 0-3 or under what circumstances I would wish to switch the priorities. Am I dumb or is this somewhat complicated?

I understand the use of Custom Function III-01 AI Servo Tracking Sensitivity and CF III-03 AI Servo Tracking method. But, CF III-02 remains a mystery to me!

I can now relate to some photographers with no DSLR or photo backgrounds who are reading their camera's User Manual for the fist time. The manuals must sound like gobbly-gook to those readers...

Real Name
    Tom

Re: New Years Resolution - Custom Functions

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I can now relate to some photographers with no DSLR or photo backgrounds who are reading their camera's User Manual for the fist time.
    Typo or Freudian slip?

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by tclune View Post
    Typo or Freudian slip?
    Probably both!

Understanding all of the 7D settings, Richard, Wow!

I've disconnected or ignore everything that wasn't on my 40D.

From what I understand of the Custom Function in question; and I may be totally wrong:

It is all about shooting continuous bursts, which I don't do anyway.

For the first option #0 (AF/Tracking priority) the first shot cannot be taken if the focus is poor and continuous shooting takes second place to the actual focus so the camera prefers to lose some continuous shooting in order to retain good focusing at all times.

Option #1 (Drive Speed Priority) may lose some focusing ability in order to retain the continuous burst rate, so some shots may be poorly focused.

Option #2 (Release Drive Speed Priority) means you can operate the shutter before correct focusing has been achieved and during continuous shooting the burst rate is given priority over other items like focus.

Option #3 (Release Tracking Priority) means the shutter can be operated without good focus but during continuous shooting having good focus takes priority over the burst rate.

So the safest option is #0 which should only operate when good focus has been obtained, and retained. But the continuous shooting rate may be reduced.

But I could be wrong on all counts!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

If it had been a true New Year's resolution, you would have waited for the New Year to start. Best of luck getting everything sorted out!

Real Name
    Richard

Thanks Geoff,

Your explanation goes a long way in clearing up the question.

I will probably keep it at 0 but, will experiment with the 1-2-3 choices when I can do so without missing any important shots.

I found this explanation of all the various Custom Functions including the positives and negatives of each setting...

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/...s_explained.do

Mike,

I am being prodded by my wife to make a "lose weight" resolution... I figure if I make learning the Custom Functions also a resolution, I will have 50% of my resolutions that are not painful.

BTW: guess which I cosider "painful"... Hint, it doesn't have a darn thing to do with the 7D camera!
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 1st January 2013 at 01:13 AM.

Real Name
    Bob

Nice photo related resolution! Good luck on seeing it through!

Dr Bob

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Hi Richard,
    I think I will join you on this one. A thread all about using camera functions would be a good learning experience.

I was fumbling around with my Nikon this morning and tried to get a shot of a rose in bad light. At first I could not manage to get the exposure an colour right. Then I switched to spot metering and there it was, what I wanted.
    I have never used the bracketing function on my camera an decided to see how it works. Well, well ,well now I know why there is a button on the Nikon for bracketing.

I think it would be a good idea to have a thread where we share knowledge on camera functions. Try out some functions and share the results with other members.