Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Forest Fire -c&c requested

Forest Fire -c&c requested

Hello, these are photos of a copse of trees at the village of Torridon in the Scottish highlands. A few years ago a forest fire swept through the trees and though they are still standing the bark is scorched black and they have no leaves. However although the trees are lifeless a bright yellow grass has started to grow on the forest floor.

This provides a stark contrast with the blackened trunks and when I was looking through the shots I had taken it occurred to me that this was reminiscent of the fire itself.I would be really grateful for comments /criticism of the 2nd photo where I've tried to use post processing using Topaz Adjust to enhance the fire effect. Please feel free to edit as you see fit. Thanks in advance

Real Name
    John

Re: Forest Fire -c&c requested

Hi there,
    Your post processing using Topaz Adjustment is very 'Arty' indeed; but I'm sorry to say, not to my taste. I'm sure others on this site will love it.
    Your main picture is of much more interest, I like it as it is, but was wondering if you had considered converting it to B&W?
    I think that would work well and is another option to consider.
    Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for your comments John, just what I was looking for , its interesting to know how others see your pictures. I'll have a go with B&W.

Real Name
    Jon

I am with John on this one. While your second shot is artsy, it is too busy for my tastes. The first shot is very nice and, yes, I would also like to see it in B&W.

Cheers

Real Name
    Wendy

Hi Tylie, I have to go along with the others. I really do like the first shot, and I too see the fire there. It is bordering on abstract already but the second one to my eye just goes a bit too far.
    I like the colour version but B&W would be interesting. Another thought that comes to mind for a shot like this is Vertical Panning. I've gotten some interesting shots by using a slow shutter speed and then panning bottom to top during the exposure. That might work for a more firey look, not sure.... I don't know if you can do something like that in post processing or not.
    Regardless, though, I think the first shot makes the statement without any tweaking.

Wendy

Thanks for your comments Jon and Wendy, much appreciated. Still to try it in B&W but I did actually take this panning shot at the time, which I quite like-

Real Name
    Wendy

That's cool Tylie

I notice from the EXIF that you have Lightroom 4. It you increase contrast and decrease Clarity it increases the firey look.
    I would crop or clone the light parts at the top and there is also a light strand about a third in on the right (screen) side that I'd clone or blend somehow

Wendy

Thanks again Wendy