Thread: Chapel in the mountains

Real Name
    Michelle

Chapel in the mountains

Trying again! Can anyone now see my photo? I would like some feedback on the editing and colour. Have I done too much?

Chapel in the mountains

Real Name
    Dave

Re: Chapel in the mountains

Hi Michelle. Yes we can see the image. Well done! As for feedback, this is a bit subjective for me. Overall, a nice composition. I would be inclined to crop a little from the right, up to around the end of the fence, I think that allows the path to lead the eye more to the chapel. Having done that, you might want to crop a little from top and bottom, too, but it's hard to tell without actually trying it. I do think the grass looks a bit over saturated, but well done with your first post (and your nice new 600D )

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

This is a very nice scene, Michelle. By the way, welcome to CiC!

Everything looks fine to me except that the light green foreground seems a bit overly saturated. That's subject to personal taste, of course, but remember that the chapel, not the grass, is the subject.

Though you didn't ask for comments about your capture technique, I would like to bring your attention to the foreground bush. Though it is a little bit out of focus, it would have been better if you had thrown it more out of focus and it would have been ideal if you had changed your position to avoid it all together or at least positioned it to the right of the chapel.

Considering that you are new here, you may not realize that you can upload much larger images. Many people configure a file to have about 1000 pixels on the longest side. Once you have done that, clicking the image displayed in the thread will allow everyone to view the larger size that you uploaded.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Michelle,

It is possible you have overcooked the foreground saturation a bit, also the black point is probably clipping some shadow detail.

Chapel in the mountains

You'll probably find there's a display like this in your editor program, the black area going all the way to the left edge of the graph with high values indicates there may be lost shadow detail.

What software are you using?

Here's an example where the values at left of graph tail down to 0 at 0, if you know what I mean;

Chapel in the mountains

Picking up on something Mike said, when shooting, if you could, I would have shot from further left or right, so the bush wasn't between us and the chapel, or from a bit higher, again so it wasn't so obvious.

The TinyPic method is preferred, since it allows larger dimension image uploads than Albums (700px max.). TinyPic may also allow us to see the image EXIF data, which can help when offering advice.

Welcome (again) to the CiC forums from ....
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 31st December 2012 at 04:14 PM.

Real Name
    Michelle

Thank you for your feedback. I must admit I don't understand all the terminology. Will try the cropping Dave (Davideric). I will also attempt to use the TinyPic method. I did try it initially but was not successful as you can see from my previous posts that came up without a photograph.
    Dave Humphries I am using the ZoomBrowser Ex software for editing.
    Mike, I thought that we were restricted to 700 x 700 pixels. I also note that the chapel should be the focus of my photograph.
    Thanks for all your comments. Looking forward to learning a whole lot more about photography from the feedback that I get here. I am still feeling rather overwhelmed by the magnitude of information that I need to learn about photography, editing and now using CIC. Quite a challenge!

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by michelleh View Post
    I would like some feedback on the editing and colour. Have I done too much?
    As a generality, if you feel you may have done too much it is usually best to back off just a tad and compare the look and feel of the two renditions, then choose the one you like best. I would agree with the cropping, grass saturation, and foreground suggestions for the reasons previously mentioned but overall it is a great capture of a very lovely scene.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by michelleh View Post
    Dave ~ I am using the ZoomBrowser Ex software for editing.
    Ah, yes, I can appreciate your problems - I was used to Nikon software and when I bought the little S100 by Canon I got that too - perhaps 'hate' is too strong a word, but it definitely don't 'love' it

You should also have Digital Photo Professional (DPP), that behaves more logically to my mind, although I still prefer the Nikon software I am used to.

It can all be a bit overwhelming to start with; just take one thing at a time, conquer that and move on to the next.
    So pick whatever's causing the most problems and deal with it first.

Good luck and we're all here to help, so by all means direct us (as you did, actually), so we don't give too much too soon.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Didace

How did you do this? Is it a plug-in? I searched and couldn't find one for "histogram viewer".

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Chapel in the mountains

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Didace View Post
    How did you do this? Is it a plug-in? I searched and couldn't find one for "histogram viewer".
    Yes it is an "Add-on"/"Extension" for the Firefox browser, I use it daily when critiqueing others images - very useful.

Here's a link; http://www.davidfichtmueller.de/histogramviewer-en.html

I have v2.0.4 on FF17 at the moment.
    If you don't use Firefox, I definitely recommend it over Internet Explorer 9, especially for photographers.

Could you do me a favour please?
    Could you Edit your Profile and put your first name in the Real Name field? - thanks.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Didace

Got it! Thanks. This will be a big help when following along.

My screen name is my name , but I'll put it in so there's no confusion.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Didace View Post
    My screen name is my name , but I'll put it in so there's no confusion.
    Great thanks