Thread: Farm Country

Real Name
    Wendy

Farm Country

Just a few from my walk the other morning. C&C always welcome and appreciated

Farm Country
    1/400s; f8; ISO 400; 95mm; +1 1/3

Farm Country
    1/640s; f8; ISO 400; 90mm; +1

Farm Country
    1/200s; f16; ISO 400; 105mm; +2/3

Farm Country
    1/500s; f16; ISO 400; 44mm; +1/3

Wendy

Real Name
    James

Re: Farm Country

Looks like a Hallmark greeting card - nicely done!

Real Name
    Kevin

Hi, Wendy

I've been looking forward to your winter shots this season. After a total bust last year, we have about 10 inches of snow on the ground, so I'm getting out this week to see what trouble I can cause in it.

I love image 1, and am glad you chose to include as much sky as you did, as it really is the mood setting component in this shot. I'm not on my own computer so I cant check, but it looks from here that image 4 might be roated a couple degrees counter-clockwise.

Cant wait to see more. I think you are the best "winter-shooter" in CiC

Good composition and exposure; although the third image seems a little soft in the foreground. Was this shot focused on the distant clouds? Or being a longer exposure, is there a touch of camera shake here.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Wendy,

For me; #1 is the stand out winner here, #4 gets 2nd place.

On #2; I do also see a tendency for things on the right of frame to lean in at the top, suggesting a small clockwise rotation is needed, the left side looks OK, so maybe a tiny perspective tweak too - but I'm being really picky because your standard is so high to start with.

HTH,

Real Name
    Wendy

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Kevin: We don't have very much snow here yet, just enough to motivate me and also just enough to reflect the light nicely. Do you notice in your winter shots that you can lower ISO compared to the same kind of lighting in the summer?
    Hope to see some shots from you soon.

Geoff: Regarding the foreground softness in the third shot. It's probably a combination of things. I shouldn't have camera shake at 1/200s BUT it was really windy and I was very cold. There was also a lot of fine blowing snow along the ground, barley visible but that could also be fudging with the focus.
    I have to find the thingy on my camera (or somewhere) where I can check to see where the focus point actually is. For this one I focused on the top of the cedars figuring (rightly or wrongly) that at f16 most of it would be sharp.

Kevin and Dave: Thanks for pointing out the leans. I see it quite clearly now on the second image, not so sure about the 4th though. There is a checkbox in Lightroom to enable profile corrections which I forgot to use on all of these shots. It automatically corrects perspective. (Yup, I tried it on the 4th shot and I think that's all it needs) I will have to set Lightroom up so this feature is checked on import. That will help a bit, the rest is up to me to get my head screwed on straight.

Thanks again for all the feedback and kind words

Wendy

Real Name
    Steve

Wow wendy, that first one is right off the top shelf. Excellent composition!! Enjoying these, keep them coming

Real Name
    Terri

Beautiful. I especially like #1 & #4. The colors are beautiful!