Thread: My Pic 01 : Looking for C&C.

Real Name
    Albert Sim

My Pic 01 : Looking for C&C.

Hi Fellow Photographers,
    This is my 1st image uploaded to CiC. Comments & Critique are welcomed.
    Thank you.
    Cheers.

Real Name
    John

Re: My Pic 01 : Looking for C&C.

Hello Albert,
    I am gad to see your problem with posting has now been sorted.

We all say that the 'eyes' in a picture should be sharp and IMO I think you have done this really well.
    For me there is a bit too much green foliage in the frame so would consider cropping it a bit.

Hopefully the more skilled members will be along with more advice shortly.
    Thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    Albert Sim

Quote Originally Posted by JPS View Post
    Hello Albert,
    I am gad to see your problem with posting has now been sorted.

We all say that the 'eyes' in a picture should be sharp and IMO I think you have done this really well.
    For me there is a bit too much green foliage in the frame so would consider cropping it a bit.

Hopefully the more skilled members will be along with more advice shortly.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Thank you John.

Real Name
    Paul

Very nice work Albert. The composition for me sets the scene. The bird is seen in his natural habitat. I can see where a slight crop might bring him forward and more prominate but....I would be concerned more about losing the natural habitat being the image is of him in that habitat and not and image of just the bird himself. If the bird was not partially obscured by the habitat I would be more apt to crop tighter, in this case his eyes are were they should be and his surroundings help tell the story. If I did crop, just a bit off the right side and a slight bit off the top.

Real Name
    Paul

Because I shoot a lot of birds and this is an issue for me often, I had to try and see if I could keep the habitat feel and still bring him closer. If you do not like it I will remove apon request but it is easier to show than explain. Also I did not include it here but a very slight vignette helps tone down highlights and bring your eye to his. I can change this version out to include it if you wish.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Albert,

My first thought was that it needed a tighter crop.

I would actually go further than Paul did; I'd crop the right off between "Sim" and "Photogaphy" and take a slice off the top too - the aim is to get the face and eye close to the upper right "third" intersection. I won't show what I mean as Paul already has and we don't know how amenable you are to us re-working you pictures, so I'll see how you react

In the histogram, there is a sign of slight blowing in the red channel, but nothing that really impacts the picture.

I quite like this one,

Real Name
    Albert Sim

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    Because I shoot a lot of birds and this is an issue for me often, I had to try and see if I could keep the habitat feel and still bring him closer. If you do not like it I will remove apon request but it is easier to show than explain. Also I did not include it here but a very slight vignette helps tone down highlights and bring your eye to his. I can change this version out to include it if you wish.
    Hi Paul,
    We are here to learn, right? No problem at all. Feel free to work on my image or images later and I always most welcome to improve further from experienced fellow photographers liked you guys.

Before I posted this image I did think about a crop but I was a bit worry that it might leads to a very tight cropping. Pro might not like it. So I just left it as it is. Now I know that I had mistaken it.

That is great.

Real Name
    Albert Sim

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Albert,

My first thought was that it needed a tighter crop.

I would actually go further than Paul did; I'd crop the right off between "Sim" and "Photogaphy" and take a slice off the top too - the aim is to get the face and eye close to the upper right "third" intersection. I won't show what I mean as Paul already has and we don't know how amenable you are to us re-working you pictures, so I'll see how you react

In the histogram, there is a sign of slight blowing in the red channel, but nothing that really impacts the picture.

I quite like this one,
    Do not worry Dave, as long as I am concerned, in this CiC, you and whoever has the interest to teach me, can practically do anything with my image/images. I am here to learn! Go ahead and feel free to do it because the more you work on my image the more I learnt. Hahaa....

Thanking you in advance.

Real Name
    Albert Sim

To All Memebrs & CiC

Wishing you a fruitful 2013

Happy New Year.

Cheers

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Sim View Post
    Do not worry Dave, as long as I am concerned, in this CiC, you and whoever has the interest to teach me, can practically do anything with my image/images. I am here to learn! Go ahead and feel free to do it because the more you work on my image the more I learn

I did move the copyright a bit after the crop.

But that's all I felt I needed to do, exposure and sharpening are both fine as they are, so well done.

Live long and Prosper,

Real Name
    Dan

Great detail on head/eye and good color saturation. Dave's crop is on the mark IMO.