Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Santa's Canoe

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Santa's Canoe

I love driving around in snow storms to see what I can find to shoot. Ordinary things take on a special look when it is snowing. I was lucky enough to notice this canoe full of wrapped gifts as I was heading back to the car after taking a few shots in the town of Clinton, NJ. I suspect it is the way Santa delivers gifts to the river people.

Please feel free to make suggestions for improvement. I will be away for two days, so I will not be able to respond until then.

Santa's Canoe

Real Name
    John

Re: Santa's Canoe

Hi Ken,
    I believe you are correct, Santa has a number of different modes of transport, so that he can get everything delivered.
    However, this is not a fool proof delivery method, he forgot to bring me a Hasselblad 24MP Lunar camera on Christmas day. I know it's not released until the 1st quarter of 2013 but I thought as I had been good he might of got one for me.

As is my normal practice when a member requested C&C, I try some adjustment myself to see if I think they work before replying. I tried a few things that IMO did not improve the picture so I disgarded them. I ended up using a little horizontal perspective correction, slight adjustment in contrast and then a little sharpen. I'm still not sure if this improved the picture or just gave it a slightly different alternative.
    Anyway, just wanted to say I liked seeing a delivery canoe and not a sleigh.
    regards
    John

You may get away with a tiny bit more on the highlights, Ken, but otherwise I wouldn't bother about any changes.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Ken,

I was going to suggest shooting from just a little higher to separate the fence from the canoe more.

Taking a lead from John and trying it myself before I suggest it, here is the result. I won't post it inline here unless you give permission. A better job could be made with more times spent on it.

Santa's Canoe

Cheers,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 2nd January 2013 at 08:01 PM. Reason: added image inline

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Sorry for not replying sooner, but was out of town. I appreciate the comments so far. Dave, you have my permission to post anything about my images without asking if it helps explain your ideas.

Dave, it was not possible to get up higher. There were vicious rottweilers preventing me from getting up higher. Actually, there was no higher vantage point except at the canoe itself, and there was a fence with a no trespassing sign to keep me away. I really wanted to get an angled shot instead of head on because I thought it would make for a more dynamic image but the fence kept me out.

Real Name
    Terri

I love this. I think you are right about the snow. I like that you got it while it was actually snowing. It's just a really fun picture.

Real Name

Thanks Ken,

I have made the image visible in above post now.

By higher, I was only thinking of holding the camera above your head, if you have Live View and a variable angle LCD to be able to compose a lot easier. However, if you were a fair way off, the difference will be negligible.

Cheers,

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Surely you're going to send this as a holiday card!

Real Name
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    What a great idea.

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Curtis View Post
    I love driving around in snow storms to see what I can find to shoot. Ordinary things take on a special look when it is snowing. I was lucky enough to notice this canoe full of wrapped gifts as I was heading back to the car after taking a few shots in the town of Clinton, NJ. I suspect it is the way Santa delivers gifts to the river people.

Please feel free to make suggestions for improvement. I will be away for two days, so I will not be able to respond until then.

Santa's Canoe
    Love the Snow!! Can I ask what camera and settings you used?? Sometimes that really helps beginners like myself. Love the photo. Thank you. Kathy

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Kathy,

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy O View Post
    Can I ask what camera and settings you used??
    It might be helpful for you to install some free software such as ExifTool at http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/ (I don't use it but lots and lots of people do.) Once you download the image to your computer, you can use that app to review all of the metadata. There are also some apps that don't require you to download the photo to your computer, but I'm not familiar with them.

Real Name
    Robin

Picasa 3 - freeware, will do the job on a downloaded photo

Real Name
    Steve

Very nicely done, ken. The only thing i can suggest for improvement -----would be to add some saturation using LAB mode. (and mask the cyan's out except for the blue boxes. Just do a hue and saturation layer and turn the cyan channel all the way down and add a layer mask and bring it back in the blue boxes). I think it really picks the image up alot and adds some needed punch.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post

I have made the image visible in above post now.
    Dave, I see what you mean. I will experiment doing exactly what you did. Thanks for the suggestion.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Thanks, Mike. Sounds like a great idea.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy O View Post
    Love the Snow!! Can I ask what camera and settings you used?? Sometimes that really helps beginners like myself. Love the photo. Thank you. Kathy
    Hi Kathy. I use a Nikon D700 full-frame camera with a 50-500 mm Sigma lens. The settings for this image were f11 1/250th sec and ISO 800. The lens zoom was set to 95 mm. Of course, post processing was involved using Photoshop CS6.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    Very nicely done, ken. The only thing i can suggest for improvement -----would be to add some saturation using LAB mode. (and mask the cyan's out except for the blue boxes. Just do a hue and saturation layer and turn the cyan channel all the way down and add a layer mask and bring it back in the blue boxes). I think it really picks the image up alot and adds some needed punch.
    Steve, thanks for the suggestion. I will experiment and see what happens.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    Steve, I know it's been a while since you posted your reply, but I finally got around to trying out your suggestion. It worked very well. I never realized how much cyan was in the gray of a snowy day. Thank you for the suggestion.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Dave, I see what you mean. I will experiment doing exactly what you did. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Dave, I know it has been a long time since you made the suggestion, but I finally got a chance to try it. Works great and will use it instead of the original. Thank you.

Real Name

Dave, I know it has been a long time since you made the suggestion, but I finally got a chance to try it. Works great and will use it instead of the original. Thank you.
    Yes I just did a staright line slice and patch, but with a better 'contoured' separation, it could be much better than my crude attempt.